Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 3 Dec 1999 20:31:57 -0500
From:         Dennis Haynes <dhaynes57@EMAIL.MSN.COM>
Subject:      Re: CHEAP Silicate/Phosphate free anti-freeze
Comments: To: Dana Morphew <kdm@WHIDBEY.COM>

Silicate is not a lubricant, it is an abrasive, (silicon like from sand). It is not used in the newer vehicles as it was found to wear through heater cores and radiators. It function was to control corrosion through abrading it a way. I changed my Vanagon over to the Prestone Long life at 132K. The water pump was last replaced at 96K and it now has almost 180k on it. So let's see, 1st water pump at 49K, second at 96K, 180K now and still going strong. I doubt the antifreeze was the cause of the premature pump failure.

Dennis

----- Original Message ----- From: Dana Morphew <kdm@WHIDBEY.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Friday, December 03, 1999 9:25 AM Subject: Re: CHEAP Silicate/Phosphate free anti-freeze