Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 5 Dec 1999 14:27:18 -0600
From:         John Rodgers <inua@SCOTT.NET>
Subject:      Re: Heat gauge
Comments: To: Zoltan Kuthy <zol@FOXINTARNET.NET>

Way back when....I was was involved with the aviation industry. Many airplanes had and still do...use aircooled piston engines. In the beginning the configuration of the cylinders were radial, or in a circle around the crankcase. Later they were built opposed much like the aircooled engines of the VW Beetles, the 411's, and the various VW Vans, even unto this day. There were two cylinder, four cylinder, six cylinder and eight cylinder versions. All, flat, all opposed.

To keep up with the temperature situation on the engines, cylinder head temperature guages were installed, and the temp sensor was a washer and wire of disimilar metals that went to the guage. The guage washer replaced the normal spark plug washer. As the washer got hot the dissimilar metals produced a current that could be presented on the guage as a representation of temperature. This gave some idea as to temperature but it really measured only the temperature of the specific cylinder to which it was attached.

As time passed, the desire to have more specific information on the engines pushed the temp sensor idea into multiple sensor mode. A washer and wire setup was put on each cylinder at the spark plug, with a switch, so that each cylinder could be selected, individually. The entire engine could be monitored that way, and when recorded, over time could be used as a diagnostic tool if there were problems.

The washer wire setup was slow however, and a better system, the Exhaust Gas Temperature Guage, or EGT, was developed. This involved having a high temp probe installed in the exhaust manifold just a few inches from the exhaust port of the engine, With this sensitive probe, the temperature and any tiny changes could be monitorted. It could be used to determine if the engine was running lean, or rich or right at peak temperature. Typically for best power the fuel air mixture would be adjusted by the pilot until the engine ran at peak temperature ---he would lean and the needle would rise.....peak, then as he continued to lean the mixture, it would begin to drop back Right at peak temp, he would enrich the mixture until the exhaust gas temperature cooled by 50 degrees. There the mixture would be set. That allowed best power with out heat damage. This was a tremendous improvement over the old washer/wire/guage arrangement. But in the biginning it was applied downstream far enough in the exhaust to sample gasses from several cylinders after it was all mixed together.

This was an improvement. But still there was the need to sample all cylinders. As time passed these systems evolved into full sampling systems, and would have a probe for each individual cylinder. It is the ultimate temperature guage.

Recently I blew a cylinder in my 2.1L. It hasn't been torn down yet to see the actual insides, but "0"compression on #3 cyl plus welded aluminum on the spark plug indicate a meltdown and a hole in the piston. That means internally that cylinder was running at or hotter than peak temperature....something that points to an overlean condition.

If there was an aircraft type EGT probe in the exhaust manifold a couple of inches from the exhaust port, I would have been able to see on a guage there was someting wrong. If I had all four cylinders wired with probes, I could have made comparisons, and the spread would have certainly caught my attention. and perhaps I could have done something before I had and engine failure.

I am about to rebuild my engine. I am looking into the EGT situation. If I install a system such as an EGT I will post the list as to the progress.

This may be something you might like to look into.

Would appreciate comments from the list.

John Rodgers "88GL Driver