Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 6 Dec 1999 13:35:11 -0500
From:         Bulley <gmbulley@BULLEY-HEWLETT.COM>
Subject:      Re: Does this bus go to my office?
Comments: To: Stuart MacMillan <stuart@COBALTGROUP.COM>

And I'd add, once you have it running, (new plugs and all) run a bottle of Chevron Techron through the tank to clean the fuel system and intake valves. Will make a huge difference.

Cheers, G. Matthew Bulley Bulley-Hewlett Corporate Communications Counselors www.bulley-hewlett.com Cary, NC USA 888.468.4880 tollfree

-----Original Message----- From: Stuart MacMillan [SMTP:stuart@COBALTGROUP.COM] Sent: Monday, December 06, 1999 1:12 PM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Re: Does this bus go to my office?

Things are probably not all that bleak. You have fouled the plugs. Take them out and replace them with the Bosch +4 Platinum plugs or at least a new conventional set. You might be able to wipe them off and re-gap them if they are new. You may also have a stuck injector, but change the plugs first. If that doesn't fix it check the injectors.

In cold weather compression can be low in a cold, worn engine, fuel condenses out on the plugs, starting can be hard or impossible, and lots of smoke will result when the excess fuel finally lights off. I have this same problem on my 200k+ mile '84, and hope to install a used engine in the next couple of weeks.

Cold weather demands that everything be "in tune!"

joseph Trussell wrote: > > Yesterday morning I went out to the parking lot and she started--white smoke > billowed from the exhaust, I mean a BUNCH of smoke, blanketing the entire > area. Also there was a large black spot below the exhaust pipe, and she was > loping along maybe running on 3, and couldn't keep an idle. I had her towed > back to my house and she wouldn't start at all last night. I tried again > this morning, and the same thing--tons and tons of smoke and running > extremely rough and cant hold an idle. After she stalled, she would not > fire again for anything.