Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 7 Dec 1999 12:54:58 -0800
From:         Stuart MacMillan <stuart@COBALTGROUP.COM>
Subject:      Re: New heads and head gasket
Comments: To: Joseph_P._McNiff@FFIC.COM

Did you get a warranty on the work? They may be right about the leaking in 100,000 miles, but what if it leaks in 10 or 12,0000? Some green antifreezes are phosphate free now, but I am not impressed with a mechanic who skimps to the tune of $10 on a $2500 job and uses non-recommended antifreeze.

You could make them drain that stuff in put in Autobahn, but I don't think I would trust them to do it right.

Find a better shop.

Joseph McNiff wrote: > > At 116,000 miles I just had my head gasket blow. > Heads were cracked too. My mechanic recommended > to replace the gasket and put new heads on. So thats > what I went with. Ended up replacing all the hoses and > water pump too. With the tune up and all the goodies it > came to $2500. When I went to pick it up I asked him what > kind of coolant he put in and he said the regular green stuff. > He knew where I was going so he started telling me that, in > his opinion the blue stuff was no different then the green stuff > except that the cost for the blue stuff was more. He turned to > his partner and said "tell him what the difference is" His partner > said it's not going to make a difference at all. He said the head > gaskets was going to corrode and need to be changed in another > 100,000 miles whether I used the green stuff or the blue stuff. > Well after reading so much on this list about how important the > proper coolant is I was very surprised at my mechanics view. > This guy is supposed to be the best in my area. Which is Sonoma co. CA. > Joel and Ron's Harmony Shop. > Anybody care to share their thoughts > > joseph > 86 westy

Stuart MacMillan Manager, Case Program 800-909-8244 ext 208

Getting your share of the Net yet? http://www.cobaltgroup.com http://www.casedealer.com/demo http://www.caseihdealer.com/demo