Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 7 Dec 1999 20:22:26 -0500
From:         Frank Miller <fmiller01@SPRYNET.COM>
Subject:      Re: Engine rebuilding resources

I used a threaded rod to pull the wristpins too. Only I used a deep socket that was small enough to fit through the access hole but large enough to allow the wristpin to draw through. Frank Miller

At 03:42 PM 12/7/99 -0500, walt spak wrote: >Karl, > >I recently bought the VW piston pin pulling tool. I found that it did not >work on the pins that came out of the old engine. There was a little build >up of old oil on every thing and the tool has no provision to lever the pin >out. I made my own puller out of a piece of 3/8" all-thread. A nut was >large enough to not fit through the pin, but small enough to fit through the >rear side pin retaining clip. I stood the engine up on the flywheel side, >removed the front clip, dropped the All-thread rod through the pin and >threaded a nut on the bottom end. I then placed a steel plate over the top >of the rod and ran a nut down to the plate. I cut a hard wood shim to place >between the piston and the block so I wouldn't be putting sideways stress on >the con rod and tightened the top nut. The pin pulled right out. Of course >you need a rod long enough to reach the rear piston and a much longer wooden >block. > >The VW piston pin tool was great for putting the pins back in. I also >purchased the tool that holds the con rod in place, but found it was totally >unnecessary when the engine was sitting on the flywheel end. > >Walt Spak >Pittsburgh, Pa. >wnsopc3@3rdm.net > >----- Original Message ----- >From: Karl F. Bloss <bloss@ENTER.NET> >To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> >Sent: Monday, December 06, 1999 11:46 PM >Subject: Engine rebuilding resources > > >> Well as I get deeper into this head gasket job, I'm hearing more voices >telling >> me to go for the full rebuild. >> >> Having never done more than change the oil on my cars up to about 3 years >ago, >> I'm working my way up the DIY shade-tree mechanic ladder. Thus I was >hoping to >> just do the head gaskets and let that be the lesson from this engine. >> >> But now that the engine is on the floor and I have time (it's a spare >engine >> and the gaskets in Bev's engine aren't leaking _that_ bad :-), I keep >hearing >> it's just a bit more work and a few more $ to crack the case, do the >bearings, >> probably rings, etc. Ron at the Bus Depot even offered the loaner VW tool >kit >> for wrist pins and he's "just around the corner" from me. >> >> So where do I read up on rebuilds? I have the Muir Idiot Guide, but >skipped >> the rebuild sections so far. I hear about a Fisher book, I check on >Amazon.com >> and found the Wilson and Grissom book about aircooled VW rebuilding. Any >other >> suggestions? >> >> -Karl >> >> Karl and Kristina Bloss, Trexlertown, PA >> '87 Westfalia Weekender "Beverley" - 190K miles >> http://www.enter.net/~bloss/vw/ >> PA/NJ Vanagon owner's mailing list: >http://www.enter.net/~bloss/vw/pavanagon/ > Frank Miller

Alternative Business Systems "Leaders in Customer Relationship Management Solutions" 4216 Indianola Avenue Columbus, OH 43214-2826

Tel: (614) 447-0060 Fax: (614) 263-9086 URL: www.altbussys.com