Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 7 Dec 1999 22:04:46 -0500
From:         Caston/Payne <happycampers@PICUSNET.COM>
Subject:      Re: 8 inch gash
Comments: To: Zoltan Kuthy <zol@FOXINTARNET.NET>

At 10:40 AM -0800 12/7/99, Zoltan Kuthy wrote: >Hi everyone > >I wander if this has been answered yet. I have an 8 inch cut in my tent >canvas and I still do not know how to mend it nice enough that it will >look decent and fairly undetectable.

There have been good sugesstions regarding this repair already and now I'll add mine. 1.Get a tube of Seam Grip (mfged by the McNett Corp I believe) available at most camping oriented stores. This stuff will fix most anything fabric and even keeps water out as well. 2.On the outside, place duct tape over the tear and press it down really well. A block of wood will help as Bully suggested. 3.On the inside, apply several coats in small amounts so it doesn't drip down the rest of the canvas. 4.Let each "coat" cure before adding the next. If you want, you can get it packaged with accelerator which cuts the cure time down from 24hrs to 2 hrs. 5. When you are done to your satisfaction, remove the duct tape from the exterior and voila! You'll hardly be able to detect the tear (except from the inside) and it will be strong as well. >From your outdoor gear guru,

Dave & Sherrie Williamsburg, VA zzzzzzzzzz__ |E[__] [__]|[_]\\ | _DC&SP | _ || * * * =-( )---------( )--=