Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 10 Dec 1999 09:20:25 -0500
From:         Bob Donalds <bostneng@FCL-US.NET>
Subject:      flywheel bolts
Comments: To: kenneth d lewis <kdlewis@JUNO.COM>

kenneth d lewis wrote: > > The last time I ordered bolts from VW I recieved hex head instead of the > inside allen head variety. Whats up with that? > > the torque plate bolts are the same as the flywheel bolts on all vanagons these are 6 point socket heads bolts. the early type 2 engines origninaly came with a 12 point bolt for the torque plate. I paid $ 10 each for the 12 point bolts last time I ordered them. the differance as far as I can tell is that the 6 point bolts protrude just slightly from the torque plate. my consern was that the bolts would keep the converter from sitting flat on the plate.all automatic vanagons engines that I have torn down have come with the 6 point bolts. automatic busses and van use the same torque plate and torque converter so go figure. the newest bentley book lists 2 differant torque specs for the the torque plate depending on the year 65 ft pds up to 1985 and 81 ft pds after 1985. the flywheel has 2 torque specs depending on the how old the manual you are using. the newest bentley lists a torque spec of 44 ft pds and a 1/4 turn and the older books have a spec of 80 ft pds this applys to all type 2 and was the orignal spec for the vanagons.

80 pds is the spec I use on all type 2 and vanagon torque plates and flywheels and yes I do reuse the bolts with no loctite when they are not to beat up as some times happens when removed Greg from Gregs repair confirmed this as the proper method he added that the 3 bolts that fasten the converter to the torque plate are more often the problem he pointed out that they are grade 12.9 a very hard bolt and he felt that the torque spec of 15 ft pds was inadequate 20 ft pds would be a minimum with loctite remember that they are threaded into steel not aluminum Bentley gets its info from VW and passes it along without passing jugdement they have told me they do not feel free to modify thats been handed to them without a tech bulletin to back it up even when I have proven to them that there is a better way

there should be no question that I am a pain in Bentleys collective butt they know me by name

Bob Donalds http://www.bostonengine.com

cc: Bentley Publishing