Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 8 Dec 1999 21:05:17 -0500
From:         dan <finalcut@VISUALLINK.COM>
Subject:      Re: paint job (touch-ups?)
Comments: To: Bill Johnson <bjohns@DTX.NET>

At 07:42 PM 12/8/99 -0600, Bill Johnson wrote: >Just getting into this touchup myself. I bought the goodies yesterday for >about $35. I went to the automotive paint store with the Westy. They came >out with a paint scanning device and took 5 readings of my paint color. It >think I will get a better match for the old paint this way. > >The smallest size I could get mixed was a pint. I also got some paint >reducer and a little portable type spray gizmo that is refillable. I did >not get the hardener. It was outrageous in price. I also picked up a spray >can of quality primer. > >This may be a good idea. We will see as soon as I get everything prepared >for the paint. > >Bill >----- Original Message ----- >From: "A. Kimmons" <akimmons@EV1.NET> >To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> >Sent: Wednesday, December 08, 1999 6:41 PM >Subject: Re: paint job (touch-ups?) > > >Speaking of painting... >There has been a lot of talk about painting or getting your van painted. > >I too, have wanted to do this but after hearing of thousands of dollars to >get a van painted, have put this way on the back, back burner... > >My van has knicks and scrapes all over it, a few of them are throught the >base (white) coat and to the metal. Once, I bought some touch up spray >paint, that the auto guy "told" me was the match, but when I sprayed it >on...well, it wasn't so close.(This was pre-Internet and I didn't know any >better...) > >Anyway, can a Auto paint place do a single coat or some kind of touch up >deal >just to get things up to spec?? Most of the van looks great still and I am >very careful with it now. I just wish I could get it looking semi-perfect >without having to spend a fortune. I could afford a couple of hundred if >this >could be done. Any tips on vendors? I live in Houston, TX. >THANKS all in advance. >

HAs anyone tried a MAcco, or whatever there called? THere is one right down the road from me and I was thinking of letting them knock out my two dents and paint my vanagon...Anyone else make the great choice...or the big mistake??

Dan