Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 3 Dec 1999 18:20:53 -0600
From:         George A Lehman <geolehman@JUNO.COM>
Subject:      Coffee,  Porta-pottis, Heat was: Winter Camping
Comments: cc: type2@type2.com

Drink coffee then the inevitable happens ....

Coffee: Have a "Bodum" I love but is glass and am afraid it will break when on the road, also have a many-several cup habit. Loved the idea of the filter dropping into my themos ..... will have to research that one. Have settled for instant coffee and hot chocolate etc. with boiled water on the stove. Years ago had a 12v pot but have found is not needed in a westy with gas.

The gal who asked about hot water without using stove .... they used to make a filiment which hung over the edge of your cup and plugged into the lighter socket. Had one back about '75 and it worked great, wonder if they still make one?

Potti: I am on my second porta-potti, yup used one completely up over the past 18 years. I like the shorter, lower versions which can fit under the overhang of the bed when getting ready to sleep etc. and slide out to sit behind the passenger seat at night.

Have always been able to make it to a state operated wayside for dumping purposes. As I am getting to the point where my kidneys don't always cooperate with long waits it is nice to be able to find relief anywhere I can pull off the road for a few seconds on a trip.

Heat: Join those who say a good sleeping bag and comely person are best heat. Just wish the little woman enjoyed cold weather camping as much as I do ... can't afford an alternate furnace as divorces cost more than a sleeping bag.

Only use the kerosun heater -22,000 btu - to take the chill off while the engine and BA-6 take over in the morning. Main reason I carry the kerosun is in case of break - down etc. winter emergency heating. Came in handy at -25 F with a family filled van waiting 4 hours before the next car came along a "major" highway in Michigan's UP about 12 years ago. ECU failed, no engine, no gas heat. stayed nice and toasty but had damp windows, could live with that.