Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 8 Dec 1999 21:42:23 -0800
From:         Doktor Tim <doktortim@ROCKISLAND.COM>
Subject:      Re: Shuddering clutch

>To: Todd Last <Rubatoguy@MINDSPRING.COM> >From: Doktor Tim <doktortim@rockisland.com> >Subject: Re: Shuddering clutch >In-Reply-To: <384F1F9D.1E0A362F@mindspring.com> > >At 07:18 PM 12/08/1999 -0800, you wrote: >>I have an '88 Westy with 128,000 miles. I had the clutch replaced about >>5,000 miles ago, I think with a Sachs unit. >>What I am noticing is that when the van is cold, the clutch shudders >>like crazy when releasing. Once the engine has >>warmed up, the shuddering goes away.

>>Does this sound like the Sachs clutch problem, or could this be a >>problem with the hydraulics in the clutch mechanism? >> >>Thanks

Sounds like a half-a**ed clutch job to me. If you put in a new disc with the old pressure plate, you have an old weak pressure plate problem and/or a flywheel surface that needs surfacing. A clutch replacement requires close scrutiny of the condition of the flywheel. The great majority of the time, it's just fine. But sometimes it is worn or glazed and must be reground. Always a clutch replacement should include a new pilot bearing, throw out bearing, disc and plate, and scrutiny as well for the cross shaft and thrust fingers. To do less is to repull the motor and do it right the second time, unless you get lucky. Some people enjoy the excitement of winning at games of luck. If they don't bitch about the downside when things go wrong, that's ok.

It might be the Sacks if it is one of the new ones assembled in Mexico. I haven't seen any failure of them yet, but I use the German assemblies so I don't have comebacks for problems with workmanship or materials.

It could also be that the parts were fine but the assembly was poor. The only way to find out is to pull the motor. That's why no compromise will set you free when it comes to clutches and other things mechanical, or mental, for that matter.

T.P. Stephens aka Doktor Tim Surveyor, Mechanic, Poet, Philosopher San Juan Island, WA