Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 9 Dec 1999 07:54:41 -0800
From:         "ThomasD. Hanlon" <hanran@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: "drill-out" and Broken Bolt/Stud Extraction Techniques
Comments: To: James Ruch <jpeterruch@hotmail.com>

James,

I've called Alden Company, and I am on the trail of the item from http://www. harborfreight.com

In the bad, bad old days before I knew of the Vanagon List, Bubba Badwrench of the Grimy Garage in San Antonio "replaced" the outer, right rear (passenger side) CV joint which I am now replacing with the help of Listees, and with the products of Ron Salmon at busdepot.com.

I find that Bubba failed to attach 11 of 12 serrated-sided lock washers on the joint bolts, and it appears that he used a "Vise Grip"or a pipe wrench on all of the bolts instead of the 12-pointed tool I have used to work on the removal of the half shaft. .It appears that in his enthusiasm, Ol Bubba sheared off one of the bolts, which is now studded below the surface in the wheel hub.

The Westy has rocketed along for for about 20,000 miles with five of the six required bolts in place, so I may just try to limp along with five bolts until I extract the stud from the hub, preferably, without removing the wheel. Any opinions on this consideration, Listees?

I am now considering using the technique addressed in http://www.team.net/sol/tech/BrokenBolt.html and/or, in addition, the http://www.drill-out.com/drillout approach..

Does anyohje have any insights, tips or caveats on this process, on on the techniques addressed in the two foregoing Web sites, (and how do I get this underline out of this text??)

Tom Hanlon Palm Springs, CA 84 Westfalia

James Ruch wrote:

> Has anyone used this product (Tom)? I've twisted off more easy-outs than I > care to admit. How well does this product work? > > J.Peter > '85 Weekender > Alfred,NY > > >From: "ThomasD. Hanlon" <hanran@EARTHLINK.NET> > >Reply-To: "ThomasD. Hanlon" <hanran@EARTHLINK.NET> > >To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > >Subject: Re: Stripped thread, oh no > >Date: Thu, 9 Dec 1999 00:20:57 -0800 > > > > > > >Look to site, http://www.drill-out.com/drillout > > > > > >Tom Hanlon > >Palm Springs, CA > >84 Westfalia > > > > ______________________________________________________ > Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com

[text/html]