Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 9 Dec 1999 08:30:00 -0800
From:         Paul Brower <pbrower@CC.WWU.EDU>
Subject:      Re: [wetwesties] which exhaust system is best?
Comments: To: "Michael B. Harrnacker" <harrnack@yahoo.com>
Comments: cc: wetwesties@onelist.com

Well, I know little about water cooled VW. But my '72 bus has the type 4 motor very similar to the water cooled as far exhaust goes. 2 years ago I replaced the whole system, and here is the problems/tricks as I remember them: Where the heater boxes (the new Danish made ones) meet the head, the bolt holes were not drilled straight, so they took a few strokes with a rat-tail file to make them slide on. Then the surface that mates to the head was rough cut and needed to be trued so the copper gaskets would seal. Next came the muffler (Scat, from China) the welds had closed the holes partially so I used a 1 1/4 inch reamer to open them back up and allow each cyclinder to breath equally. Not a whole days work but a good portion for the whole system. Again I don't know about the water cooled motor but the parts for an air cooled are just heavy enough to make it a drag to hold while lying on you back, so I used a milk carton and some wooden wedges to prop each part until I could get the nuts started. Good Luck Paul Brower '72 Westie (the Bessie Rose) P.S. If you want to wake up the neighbors, start up the motor without the exhaust!