Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 9 Dec 1999 15:45:26 -0500
From:         "Carrington, Tom" <tcarrington@RELITECH.COM>
Subject:      Re: Help?
Comments: To: Jay & Kim Schmidt <schmidt5@HSONLINE.NET>

Get a long (4-5 foot) piece of angle-iron stock, and drill 2 holes in it that will line up with the bolt holes near the outer edge on the drive plate. These are the same bolts that would secure the torque converter to the drive plate. The iron bar will prevent the drive plate from turning while you loosen the bolts in the center.

If they replace the bolts, then do it. Some alloys stretch when subjected to high torque, which helps hold the fasteners tight. You can get them at the dealer, but will probably need to order them.

TomC tcarrington@relitech.com http://volksweb.relitech.com 85 Vanagon Crew Cab 82 Westy diesel=>gas conversion 65 Notchback