Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 9 Dec 1999 17:25:39 EST
From:         Diana Broome <Finnkneader@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Red Flag! was need engine for '87 Westy

That sounds like what the mechanic was trying to tell me but obviously I don't understand enough about it to explain it correctly. (gee, I feel dumber than usual today). The previous owners have used this guy (the only VW mechanic around) the past few years without any problems.

Thinking back about reading the original paperwork that came with the van, it was built in 10/86 and I'm pretty sure did list a 1.9L. Since the paperwork's in the glovebox and not here I can't check.

<Although 'warp' may not be the correct word, what is being referred to is the way certain parts 'face' each other after long term wear and tear. Since the engine case is made up of at least three main pieces, and connected to it are cylinders of a different material (steel), upon which heads are bolted (again, of a different material) there are certain ravages that occur over time, just because of the way the different materials cool after use, and different pieces cool at different rates.

Some after market heads are not 100% aluminum (nothing really is I guess), and of questionable quality in manufacture; you might find that -after extended use at maximum temp- they will lose their 'face'. This can lead to all kinds of problems. Of course, they may be twisted to begin with too.

While we may be talking about only a few thousands of an inch, it takes a machine shop with specialized tools to 'resurface' a head. This refers to the point where the head comes into contact with the mating surface of the cylinder. Between the cylinder and the case are a series of copper gaskets that butt right up against the case, the cylinder pressing down upon them. The cases themselves can, under the correct set of conditions, change their 'face' along the line bore, or longitudinal axis. This can be especially telling when you try to seat your crank or affix a main seal.

An average schmo, or even jaded mechanic, cannot tell from looking at the outside of an engine these (often) microscopic differences are there. What the wizened old mechanic can do is look at the symptom and hypothesize the condition exists. To say, carte blanche, an engine is "warped" and you need a complete replacement may be more indicative of a mechanics' business acumen than of an accurate diagnosis. At the same time, the same mechanic may have been down that road of doing the proper repair, and having it cost as much as an R & R. >