Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 8 Dec 1999 09:45:42 -0500
From:         Steve Elfelt <steveelf@SPRYNET.COM>
Subject:      Re: [Winter]

Got several emails about my RV heater.... here it is for the whole world

Brand: Suburban (Dayton Tennessee) Model: Unknown Cost: $50 used from a RV shop Installed by me in an 84 Vanagon, formerly a passenger van. I have the rear heater. I laid plywood down over the entire interior behind the front seats. Built a box around rear heater. This made two spatial "holes" to either side of the heater in front of the sloping rear "fire wall". I put 2 golf cart batteries in the hole on the driver side and built a box around them. I then built a box just in front of the battery box for the furnace. The box is double-walled and lined with fiberglass insulated sheet metal as a fire precaution just because I am paranoid The furnace is (very roughly) 9" X 9" X 24". It requires 1-2 " clearnace on sides and top, so I built the furnace box that big with a bit extra clearance. The rear has intake and exhaust vents for which I had to cut holes in the side of the van. (That was emotionally difficult!) The front of the furnace had a solid plate, and there were punch-outs on the sides where I could hook up ducts. Not needing ducts for such a small van, I covered the ducts with sheet metal (screwed down) and bought a small louvered vent thingie from the RV shop, which they had in a box and sold to me for a buck. This looks very attractive and screwed onto the front of the furnace after I removed the solid plate. Now the warm air blows into the van through that thing. The orienation is crosswise in the van. Thus, the furnace box and the battery box both extend from the side of the van crosswise towards and up to the rear heater. The passenger side of those two boxes lies in a plane with the drivers side of the rear heater box. That plane mark a plane that extends all the way to the driver seat, and encompasses the fronts of many other innovations, including cabinets, stove, and icebox. I have a semi-permament oneperson bed in front of the sliding door, and an aisle the width of the rear heater box going down the middle. The plane I was mentioning includes a 2x2 support ridge upon which I can rest extra pieces of plywood to turn the aisle into additional bed width when I am playing instead of working. ;-) Plywood for the added bed width is stored behind the drivers seat. I also laid fiberglass insulation in the ceiling and blocked off and insulated the two rear side windows entirely. I use a regular RV (12 volt) thermostat to set temp and if I wanted it would be 80 degrees when it was below zero outside. The sucker really pumps it out. I also have a smoke detector on the ceiling, a CO monitor near the floor, and a propane alarm/auto shutoff unit if a leak is detected (20% of combustion saturation). And a fire extinguisher, not that it would do any good, but it makes me feel nice. If I had it to do over, I would have

invested instead of the furnace into better cold weather clothes/bag/etc

Hooked up the equipment IN MY HOUSE before installing (but without hooking up gas) and tried sleeping with it clicking off and on next to my head as my house furnace took care of the actual heating.

Relied on an open window and a coleman heater and a CO alarm instead of cutting holes in the car and buying a $800 propane tank. My first tank was not designed for VWs and hung suspended below the frame. Actually I still have that one. I stopped carrying extra days of gas when I heard something fly up from the road and bang it. I caught a vision of a headline starting "SpaceShuttle Vanagon". Uh-uh. I took some of the $800 and bought good cold weather gear, and keep the propane empty as much as possible. But I will get a good tank eventually, particularly since my travelling companion is less cold tolerant.

Steve 84 vanagon Lansing Mich