Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 10 Dec 1999 12:14:41 +0100
From:         Robin Oomkes <robin.oomkes@SWIFT.COM>
Subject:      90 Vanagon Westfalia Atlantic TD description (longish)

Hello fellow list members,

Since posting my question on the coolant afterrun pump on my new van, I have had numerous p-mails of list members wanting to know where I am so they could check out my van/buy it from me/take it from me by force. I live in Holland so don't ask me how to get these vans to the States.

Not wanting to disappoint anyone, nor wanting to rub in my great fortune in living in Europe, at least as far as VWs are concerned, here follows a full description of my new pride & joy:

Bought privately near Bonn, Germany on 11-22-99, for DM 16500 ($8000?).

Type: Vanagon Atlantic. In 1988, VW took over the European marketing from Westfalia. Henceforth the vans were called California (simple version, glass windows, no heater) or Atlantic (complete version). The vans were still built at Westfalia but sold by VW (like the Eurovan today, which of course is called California in Europe as well).

Engine: turbodiesel, 1600 cc, non-intercooled. Has 175000 km. 5 speed manual gearbox. 70 HP. Runs 130 km/h max, cruises comfortably at 120 km/h. Has after-market catalytic converter to comply with German emissions regs and to get tax break. Performance, especially torque, feels stronger than 1.9 gas engined Vanagon I drove in the States last Spring. Diesel fuel consumption so far: 9.5l/100 km = 25 US mpg. Has the already famous coolant afterrun pump.

Body: white, (very) slight ding on sliding door, otherwise perfect. Double square headlamps: outside ones are H4 lo/hi beam, inner ones are H3 supplementary hi beams. Front spoiler below bumper. Has dark grey plastic protective 'skirt' of approx 8 inches high all around the underbody. 'Vanagon' plate on rear hatch - I think the European campers were called Vanagon in the last few years of manufacture (88-90). Before that, they were called Transporter (panel van), Camping (old Westies) or Joker (82-88 Westies). Passenger compartment has plastic double windows for insulation. White pop-top. No luggage roof rack up front - this was dropped in favour of more aerodynamic design which leads air up to the pop-top.

Cab: dash with tach, speedo, digital clock. VW swivel seats with arm rests. Electric mirror (L/R) control on driver's door. Lockable glove box. Lit make-up mirror on passenger side. Map reading light in dash edge over glove box. 2 interior lights L/R. Cig lighter + extra Hella 12V plug. Fully carpeted, thick sound insulation material under carpets.

Interior: grey standard Westy interior (swiveling table etc). Porta-Potti box. Underfloor Eberspächer diesel heater with thermostat and digital timer. Allows for 3 different timer settings to eg pre-heat van on cold mornings. Underfloor LPG tank. 2-burner LPG stove. Standard Electrolux (Dometic) fridge on propane/12V/220V. Supplementary battery under driver's seat. Starter battery in engine compartment (as on all diesels). Relay to prevent fridge draining battery when stationary. Automatic battery trickle charger when plugged into mains. One 220V socket. Slightly smaller vertical wardrobe door than on older Westies. Together with lower-mounted table this means you can open the wardrobe door without moving the table! Two fluorescent light tubes over the kitchen; one over the sliding door. Curtain on rail over sliding door.

Whole interior is absolutely standard: not even a towel clip has been glued on. Great! I hate having to remove the PPO's K-Mart accessories and having to live with ugly glue spots or drill holes ever after.

Let me know if you have any questions - I'll be happy to answer them.

Best regards from Holland Robin

90 Vanagon Atlantic TD 84 Westfalia Joker D (for sale)

[text/x-vcard]

begin:vcard n:Oomkes;Robin Oomkes x-mozilla-html:FALSE org:S.W.I.F.T. sc;Market Infrastructures Team adr:;;;;;; version:2.1 email;internet:robin.oomkes@swift.com title:Analyst fn:Robin Oomkes end:vcard