Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 10 Dec 1999 18:44:53 GMT
From:         t obrien <robot_works@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      improving gas milage and other friday musings

Went out on Monday, started up the 83 AC and puled it in front of the garage to load up my tool boxes. (I do an interesting combination of engineering and maintenace on high tech data aquisition and display equipment in San Franscico) Walked aroud the back of the van and smelled heavy gas. Opened the hatch, opened the engine cover, turned that sucker back on. Scared the hell outa myself. Gas is pouring out of the hose going into the cold weather injector. Turned it off. Fast. MOved the 84 into the garage, pulled the 83 into the space in front of the garage, and took the Toyota. Got the hose material. Last night grit my teeth (alright, I know this is not Minnisota), and tore into replacing the 5 pieces of hose that looked pretty bad. Finished up, turned it on, after twenty seconds or so, leaked again!. Looked sort of like it was coming from the cold weather injector housing. Anybody seen that? Took the one off the 81 and replaced it on the 83. Putit all back together and now gas will not be pooling on top of the block. My only amazement is why this puppy didn't go sky high before now. The gas lines were shot and the injector leaked like a sieve. My gas milage should go back up, yes?

So the only left is the leaking seal behind the pully. Now there are good points... nobody tailgates me. As a matter of fact, nobody follows me at all. Hmmm...

What is involved in replacing that seal? Can it be done engine in? When this is finished, I can reconnect the heater tubes. When they are hooked up, tons of heat. Just can't stand the smell of it pulling in oil laden air from the area above the muffler.

Anybody want to trade a new or almost new 1.9 longblock for an 83 AC 7 passenger?

BTW, got ZProducts kit for curtains yesterday... Looks pretty good, can't wait to pull down the twine and make this thing (the 84) look professional. Have a great weekend.

tim o'brien vbob@primenet.com robot_works@hotmail.com

81 Westfalia hulk 83 7 passenger AC 84 weekender Sort of (in progress)