Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 8 Dec 1999 10:37:11 -0800
From:         Steve Macaulay <smacaulay@INFINTIUM.COM>
Subject:      Re: [ was Winter heating - now new Coleman heater]

> Relied on an open window and a coleman heater and a CO alarm instead > of cutting holes in the car and buying a $800 propane tank.

About a month ago someone on the list mentioned a new Coleman catalytic heater that was supposedly safe to use inside a van. I went to Home Depot and checked it out. Nothing on the box said anything about it being unsafe to use inside an enclosed environment. Instead it seemed to imply the opposite, that it was safe to use inside a tent or camper. I opened the box and checked out the instruction manual. In there was the fine print about needing an open window of certain dimensions when inside an enclosed environment like a van. I contacted Coleman and had them send me some literature on this new heater. Nothing in the literature they sent implied that this heater was unsafe to use in an enclosed environment. There was no mention of needing adequate ventilation. Again this literture seemed to imply that it was safe to use inside an enclosed environment even though it isn't unless you have adequate ventilation.

It seems like a nice little heater (under $50, 3000 BTUs, hard to tip over) that ran off a standard mini propane container like those used by the Coleman stoves and lanterns. The literature Coleman sent indicated a electronic-ignition model was coming out very soon (by end of year possibly). If someone is looking for an inexpensive heater, this might be something to check out. Just don't be fooled by the box. It implies that this is a safe heater to use inside an enclosed area. It probably is, but only if you have adequate ventilation. Nothing on the box will clue you in on this requirement though, so keep this in mind.

Steve

89 Westy