Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 13 Dec 1999 13:29:14 -0500
From:         EMZ <vw4x4@FYI.NET>
Subject:      240z crash update

240z Crash update.

Many of you may remember, my 240z car was struck in the rear by a young stupid female driver, over a year and a half ago. Well I finally got a settlement with the insurance co. (Progressive) It was not easy! I had to prove to them that I could not replace the vehicle for what they were offering. They had, another loser company, "CCC", state that the value of my vehicle was $2,800. This co. stated "we have found several vehicles in your area, just like yours". This is were the problem started. I called CCC and asked to see just one. They could not direct me to any vehicle even remotely close to mine. Then I called Progressive and things went from bad to worse. They stated "We are only obligated to meet the minimum state insurance requirments. Our offer stands at $2,800, and we will take the car as a total" They said, they would sell it back to me for $1000, with a scrap title, If I would like to have it. My reply was "It's my car! I'll tell you what you will pay me for the dammage. No one tells me what they will do with my car", and hung up on them. My first course of action was to call a lawyer. He is a friend that sees no dollar signs in this case. This was not all bad, because the threat was there to sue everyone. At this point I was so sick of people being taken advantage of, by insurance co. I would have spent $100,000 if I had to, to get what the vehicle is worth from Progressive. Over the last year or so the car when to 3 body shops, to be review. None would aggree to do anything but "pound it out" (this means bond it up). I would not aggree to this. The car needs a frame machine and several new panels. THe adjuster was pulled from the case, approx. a month ago, and this new adjust wanted to start over. I'm not playing games I told him. I would not let him see the vehicle at any shop unless he sending me a check to tow the vehicle to and from the shop, first. (The vehicle was now out of state inspection). He asked "how are you going to get it to a shop to have it fixed"? I replied "I'm not". It looks like I'll have to fix this myself, if I want it done right. (I was not lying) I told him to go thru the last year of notes the previous adjust had. "You will find I have tryed to resolve this case and I'm sick of playing". I said "unless you are paying me, I will no longer do anything to try to resolve this matter. You have wasted enough of my valuable time and money. Any more work on my part will cost you money". He got the message. As the next thing out of his mouth was. "A......what do you want to make this go away? I stated $4,500. He wanted to know how he would present this to his boss if this CCC co. thinks the vehicle is only worth $2,800. He needed proof that a replacement car can't be had for at least $4,500. SO I spent the Month of November, collecting adds from the net, Magazines, and one in the local news paper. I also got the November copy of Hemmings motor news. It had several Z cars in it. Big score! Classic car pricing guide did not list Datsun! bummer. Presented all this crape last friday. Yesterday the response was $4000, no title change, I keep the car. Doing some quick math, original offer: $2,800-$1000=$1,800. This offer: $4000 clear. $4000-$1800=$2,200. Worth the fight! So if your Vanagon is in an crash, and you really can't replace it for what the insurance co. is offering you, Hold your ground!

Eric 86-VW4x4 vw4x4@fyi.net 72-240z Pittsburgh, PA USA 1936-Chrysler