Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 13 Dec 1999 20:39:32 -0500
From:         Alexander Dallas <adallas@WORLDNET.ATT.NET>
Subject:      Fw: re:Temperature Sensor Light/Difficulty Starting

>You are not alone, I had every one of these problems and it didn't go away >for 3 years while vw tried to figure it out. > >I had the same problem with my 84 and it magically went away after a visit >to the machanic. As to what he did I am not sure, probably broomsticked the >catalytic :-). To my knowledge it was a matter of getting the engine tuned >correctly, running it without an exhaust pipe can damage the tuning >drastically(it does make the engine sound bigger though). > >Now regading that red blinkin light on the temp guage that makes your heart >stop when you see it. That too is something that I ran into, over and over >and over and over. It went away after I found the air leak in the coolent >system, one of the hose clamps was slightly loose so that when the fore and >aft pipes heated with coolent it expanded and sealled and when the pipes >cooled it opened enough to let air bubbles into the coolent system. More >air Bubbles than the system can purge, it took 10 stops to the the VW shop >to find it. > >Now to the third item with the vanagon not starting. >It was doing the same thing with me but only in condensing cold fog, sounds >electrical. I was able to start it several times by taking the intake boot >of the air regulator then that didn't work. The only thing that actually >fixed it was to take a hair dryer to the main computer for a few minutes. > > >Date: Sat, 11 Dec 1999 18:35:44 EST >From: Harold Jaynes <HJaynes1@AOL.COM> >Subject: Temperature Sensor Light/Difficulty Starting > >I occasionally have two different problems on my 84 Vanagon. First, >sometimes >the temperature sensor light starts to blink upon starting occasionally and >will not stop blinking for a mile or two. Sometimes it just starts to blink >while warm without warning, although the engine does not seem to be running >hot. The coolant is always around the line in the reservoir. > >Second, it seems like about one every dozen times or so, the car just does >not start period. I can push start it, it starts just fine. And I can turn >the engine off and it starts right back up. This is in conjunction with the >problem I have that it runs great at cruising speed, but runs like a dog >while idling or getting to cruising speed. Any ideas?? > >I just also want to say...I REALLY like this list. I appreciate reading >insights from the different members. I've had three Vanagons. Bought this on >the spot in SLC Utah because it had one of those huuuuuge cool sunroofs that >I had looked for years for. > >Harold Jaynes >

[text/x-vcard]

BEGIN:VCARD VERSION:2.1 N:Dallas;Alexander FN:Alexander Dallas ORG:US Filter TITLE:Process Water Division Network Administrator TEL;WORK;VOICE:800 875 7873 x2222 TEL;WORK;FAX:978 970 2543 ADR;WORK:;;10 Technology Drive;Lowell;Ma;01851;USA LABEL;WORK;ENCODING=QUOTED-PRINTABLE:10 Technology Drive=0D=0ALowell, Ma 01851=0D=0AUSA EMAIL;PREF;INTERNET:dallasav@usfilter.com EMAIL;INTERNET:adallas@worldnet.att.net REV:19991214T013541Z END:VCARD