Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 14 Dec 1999 18:04:48 -0800
From:         Joel Cort <joel_cort@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Shifter parts for Syncro
Comments: To: Brent Christensen <bpchristensen1@HOME.COM>

Brent,

I'm planning to replace all the plastic and spring goodies that make up the shifting control assembly on my 89 Syncro Westy. My wife cusses when she can't find the right gear. I have no problem but there is a lot of play so I will be upgrading and repacking this with the messy graphite grease. soon!

If you have a Bentley manual, turn to page 34.20 and check out the exploded diagram.

Starting from the top on the gear shaft:

The gear shift lever just unscrews

Bushing - Usually OK Top Spring (real soft) part number 251 711 145 then you are in the Lever bearing assembly Housing Usually OK Upper ball half part number 82 371 843A Sping Usually OK but a nice strong spring part number 251 711145 Lower ball half part number 251 711 645 Shell half need 2 part number 823 711 255 Rubber guide Part number 171 711 279 Spacer Ring Part number 171 711 227A

Hope this helps - Dont know if these are Rabbit or Scirroco part numbers but remember its a Syncro so just slightly different.

Let me know if you had any pitfalls and any lessons learned. I can track down the cost of all these if I find the parts slip from VW. The best bet is to call the guys in Phoenix and tell them your problem, they will know all the right parts that you need. I think that you can do this for around 20 - 25 dollars.

Joel Cort 89 Westy Syncro GL In snowy Rochester Yeh!

--- Brent Christensen <bpchristensen1@HOME.COM> wrote: > The shifter on my 5-spd (Syncro) seems to have a lot > of side-to-side play > when in gear and in neutral. In looking at the > Bentley, I see several > plastic parts that look suspiciously like the > shifter guts of my old > Scirocco. Any suggestions on what needs replacing > to tighten up the > shifting? (I just had the linkages adjusted by a > very competent mechanic, > so I am confident that is not the problem). > > If replacement of the parts is suggested, anyone > know the part numbers? Are > they the same as in the Scirocco/Rabbit? > > Thanks in advance > > Brent Christensen > '89 GL Syncro Westy "Klaus" > Santa Barbara, CA >