Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 20 Dec 1999 19:04:06 -0600
From:         Joel Walker <jwalker@URONRAMP.NET>
Subject:      Re: after market Short shift
Comments: To: Carl Hansen <carl_hansen@IEEE.ORG>

> I guess my question would be "WHY"? Short shift kits are for sports cars > and people who want to go fast! You want to go fast, you got the wrong > vehicle!!

nah, in a bus, it's to reduce the arm-stretching shift from 2nd to 3rd. :) and there is one that works. Gene Berg makes it. about $20 total. but there's a couple of Gotcha's! - FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS CAREFULLY!! i mean it. read it three or four times, then practice it a couple of times, then do it once. and make SURE you mark the little shifter-plate hold-down-bolts BEFORE you loosen then (like the directions say) cause otherwise it's a pain to try to readjust it ... takes a couple of weeks of fiddling to get it back right again. :( - don't know if it'll work on syncros. never tried it.

the kit comes in either 12mm or 14mm sizes, and they'll need to know which one you need. part number is GB6785 (for my 88 bus). and i personally think it's well worth the money ... i've put it on all the 4-speeds i've had since 1980 (didn't know about it before then).

joel