Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 16 Dec 1999 08:40:17 -0700
From:         "Jon B. Kanas" <kanas@QUALITY.QADAS.COM>
Subject:      Water Wetter
Comments: cc: Magic1910@AOL.COM

Good Morning Listers,

Water Wetter is a "wetting agent", this means that it changes the surface tension characteristics of the liquid such that it no longer "beads up". Soap works as a wetting agent. When you spray water on a recently waxed car, it beads up. If you put soap in the water, it becomes a uniform film over the surface instead of beading.

The theory is that by using a wetting agent in your coolant you create a more uniform film of coolant against the critical engine surfaces, improving heat dispersal into the coolant and reducing hot spots in the engine. Use of a wetting agent will NOT change the operating temperature of the engine (this is controlled by the thermostat), but it will improve the heat transmission characteristics of the coolant, and will reduce the probability of air pockets in the cooling passages.

I use Water Wetter in both my Westfalia Syncro and my Mercedes 300TE. I have observed no change in the operating temperature of either vehicle. I have observed that the cooling system responds much faster than it did previously. For example, when you're stuck in traffic on a hot day, your coolant temperature climbs and the radiator fan starts. As soon as you begin moving, the coolant temperature begins to decline and the fan stops. When using the Water Wetter, the coolant temperature comes down much more quickly, indicating that the cooling system is operating more effeciently.

I have been using the product for some time, with the appropriate Volkswagen coolant, and have observed no adverse conditions in my cooling system. I have approximately 95K miles on my Syncro, and the engine has not been serviced for heads (or anything else!).

Regards, Jon