Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 16 Dec 1999 19:50:31 -0500
From:         Bulley <gmbulley@BULLEY-HEWLETT.COM>
Subject:      Re: Millenium Viruses

Okay, You guys and gals know I ain't scared of much...but it is because I live under the Boy Scout motto of "Be Prepared".

One of my primary clients is a large "systems integrator" in Washington, D.C. These are the people who have (in many cases) FIXED the Y2K bug for a number of very sensitive systems in our country. I agree, a temporary shut-down of Gerry might not be a bad idea.

I share the below (confidential) quote from an internal e-mail, sanitizing it from any identifying data, so that we might better understand that the Y2K bug is far less of a threat, and the Y2K virus plague may be more of a threat. This is from a company that is at the cutting edge of this problem. Helpful tips for computer prep are included. Our community is based on trust, and I ask only that you DO NOT FORWARD this message, in part or in whole. I might be violating some tenant by sharing. >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> As XYZ Company prepares to transition to the year 2000, there are several steps that all XYZ Company staff should plan on taking, both before leaving work the last day of 1999, and upon returning to work after New Years Day.

All important files you have created locally on your PC should be compressed and backed up to external media (floppy diskettes, ZIP drives, Jaz Drives, CDs, file servers, etc.) -- do not back up software applications or system files

The latest virus signature files for your anti-virus software should be downloaded and installed on your PC daily beginning in late December

Upon returning to work on after the New Years holiday, check that your PC has rolled over to the appropriate January 2000 date. Contact your local help desk if you are having problems.

Since we can expect that the millennium rollover will also cause a significantly higher incidence of new virus attacks than usual, you must be especially diligent in keeping your anti-virus software signature files up to date -- new signature files will likely be released daily beginning in late December, as compared to about once per week in the recent past.

You should also be especially careful of any attachments you receive. Best practice is to detach attachments, virus test them, and then open them with the appropriate application. Launching them immediately as attachments as from an E-mail message is to be avoided at all times if there is any possibility of the files being infected. Remember, even people you work with all the time might accidentally transmit new strains of computer viruses if they are not equally careful. >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> The point being: don't sweat the power going off. Back up your stuff to be safe. Get good virus protection and keep it updated. G. Matthew Bulley Bulley-Hewlett Corporate Communications Counselors www.bulley-hewlett.com Cary, NC USA 888.468.4880 tollfree