Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 16 Dec 1999 19:27:11 -0800
From:         david griffiths <griffiths5130@HOME.COM>
Subject:      Re: Heading NORTH on 20w-50
Comments: To: Doktor Tim <doktortim@ROCKISLAND.COM>

Hi Doc & VW Devotees;

I'm new to the list, can't afford the manual yet. Where do I find the breather & tube to check for restrictions. I've owned my '84 Westy for 6 yrs. and can't afford dealership maint. anymore. All help appreciated.

Paddler Dave.

Doktor Tim wrote: > > At 07:40 AM 12/11/1999 -0800, you wrote: > >At 10:06 AM 12/11/1999 EST, you wrote: > >>Dear Listees- > >> > >>We will be driving our '88 Westy from South Carolina to Minnesota for the > >>holidays. I run a thicker 20w - 50 oil with no probs in the warm climate, > but > >>is there any reason to change to a lighter weight to accommodate the colder > >>weather up there (easier cold stars, etc.)? On a recent trip to D.C. a small > >>oil leak left a thin film across the rear window (running 20/50). I > wonder if > >>a lighter wt. oil would tend to make even more of a mess back there!? > >>One more thing... any tips on save-the-day spare parts to keep under the > back > >>seat? > > Will also add, check the crankcase breather and hose for restriction. If > not venting properly a small increase in pressure inside can push oil past > an otherwise perfect seal ring. Could solve the problem all together. > Again, you would know the effect by monitoring rate of use. > > T.P. Stephens aka Doktor Tim > Surveyor, Mechanic, Poet, Philosopher > San Juan Island, WA