Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 17 Dec 1999 09:10:19 -0500
From:         Bulley <gmbulley@BULLEY-HEWLETT.COM>
Subject:      It's not about scoops, really
Comments: To: Bob Donalds <bostneng@FCL-US.NET>
Comments: cc: Bus <type2@type2.com>

(For those on the type 2 list (whom I have cc: on this note) we on the Vanagon list have enjoyed/tolerated a lengthy discourse on the advantages/disadvantages of adding scoops to the air intakes of our vans.)

That SCOOP thread got a little fetid, didn't it? I have to tap the collective wisdom on one last point about cooling air flow (for air-cooled motors) in the Vanagon body specifically. Please bear with me.

In the OLD Splittie buses the engine compartment was cavernous, and the flow from the side vents to the intake fan was a circuitous, low-velocity meander. With the 1970's bays, the route was straighter, from the vents to the fan, with few obstacles in the way but the spaces were still LARGE, thus, lower velocity.

In the Vanagon, not only are the cooling-air intake duct diameters smaller, but the bottom duct area, where the air makes a 90 degree turn is smaller, and the deck lid is much lower, making velocity, and obstructions to that velocity an issue, (in my estimation). With all of that as background...

My question is, has any of our ilk played with "cleaning" the flow from the vents down to the cooling fan? I have in mind such things as filling/rounding the 90 degree turn at the base of the ducts and removing the useless clutter from the incoming air stream (my 1982 has a couple of ill placed junction boxes, etc.)? My thoughts are that scoops may help push air in, but the path from the scoop to the fan is a cluttered mess. Once the fan gets the air, it is a well-directed, tight trajectory through the motor, but prior...ugh.

Also, has anyone (with a 1980-1983.5) experimented with using the heater fan output (from the fan on the alternator shaft) to force additional cooling air down onto #1 & #3 cylinders during the summer? Seems like a no-brainer to add a 5 cm tin duct fitting to the back edge of the tin behind #1 and #3, and run the unused output from the heater fan to cool these hot cylinders in the summer. In the winter, you just swap out the ducting, and cap off the fittings.

Thoughts?

G. Matthew Bulley Bulley-Hewlett Corporate Communications Counselors www.bulley-hewlett.com Cary, NC USA 888.468.4880 tollfree