Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 17 Dec 1999 08:53:39 -0700
From:         jim hayes <jimhayes@JYMIS.COM>
Subject:      Re: camping list

I like Jim Cain's reply too. Shake down cruises are great. After 10 years, wife and I find, we modify the list a little as noted....

Bill Johnson wrote:

> Troy, you can never have too much stuff. You just won't use it all. We > have all tried to work out our packing list for years. Here are a couple of > my hints for non remote areas, but others will disagree. > > 1. I take some kind of folding chair.

We use 2 folding sling stools. VERY compact. Aluminum better than wood.

> > 2. Simple food for about 3 days.

Minimum 3.5 gal jug of water. Use for drinking wash dishes if no sink, cleaning spills, etc.

Also paper towels. Very handy.

> > 3. Aux. battery

batteries to run other stuff, i.e AA for the cb radio below, etc.

> > 4. No extra radio.

CB radio emergengy kit from Radio shack. This thing puts together in a minute and gives you channel 9 and a weather radio. Alternative would be a cell phone but we're too cheap. bought years ago, they may still sell it.

> > 5. Firewood if unavailable at site.

alcohol stove, small, and a quart of ethanol. We dont use firewood, but thats just us...

> > 6. Marshmallows and Franks (if meat eater)

canned food. Also food u can open and eat without cooking (eating on the run) like sardines thats non-perisible.(sp) If you're hiking, some kind of trail mix.

can opener.

> > 7. Duct tape, twine, rope, small tarp.

baling wire

> > 8. Lots of tools and butane soldering iron.

like the butane iron! also carry a small can of butane, my iron seems to evaporate it fast

> > 9. Siphon, tire repair aerosol, plugs, inflater. > 10. Folding shovel, hatchet, camping saw, hammer. > > The PO of my diesel westy added some aftermaket roof lights that are nice > when I need more light, but I don't leave them on.

3 flashlights. one regular size, 2 are huge and take 4 c cells acting as lanterns at dusk. take the small flashlight walking with you at night so you won't get mowed down by an RV.

Rand-Mcnally road atlas, KOA guide. Join AAA, get a "plus" membership so you can be towed 100 miles (heh) and ask for a "Triptick" which is a collection of maps with a suggested route highlighlighted for you, campground and motel books for every state your passing through. We usually wing-it, but it's nice to have these books around as back up so we can find a place to stay in a hurry.

extra WOOL blanket from A/N store for emergengy cold conditions. store above you and yank it down instantly when needed. Also sleeping bag is nice, but bulkier unless goose down.

6 inch cube heater if you're near a hookup.

Swis army knife, maybe 4-5 inch long.

first Aid kit, fire extinguisher rated to put out grease fires

miniture dish soap and sponge for washing dishes (or plastic forks and spoons and dishes)

goop or other waterless hand cleaner

emergency reflective triangles or flares or something to set up by the van if you break down esp. at night.

extra roll of tp stashed away

2 or 3 28 oz size water bottles and a way to carry them.

backpack for hiking.

compact raingear.

compass

penlight

> > > This is what I do. Everyone is different. > > Bill >

We're adding a porti-potti this year, finally. You're not gonna believe this but on some trips where the distance was long and the old '71 was showing it's age, I packed a folding bicycle (originally bought to fit under the hood of a bug I once owned). Never got to use it for emergency, but did ride it around for fun a bit.

sorry for the length. but, well thats what we carry. And everyone IS different. -- Jim Hayes

'86 weekender ''71 sunroof