Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 17 Dec 1999 12:02:21 -0500
From:         "Carrington, Tom" <tcarrington@RELITECH.COM>
Subject:      Millenium Viruses - The list admin's word.

will shut down Gerry a few minutes/hours before Y2K hits, just as a precaution. If the world does not end, he will be back up and running a few minutres later. I have already tested the hardware for Y2K, and it passes all tests just fine. The software is Windows NT v4.0 / SP5 and according to MS, it is compliant in that form.

Our list server "Gerry" is not scanning the inbound/outbound email mesages for any viruses. If you need protection, go buy or download software and install it on your machine. I have no intentions of installing scanning software on Gerry at this time.

About the info below....The latest "bubble boy" virus is probably what you are referring to. *TECHNICALLY*, that virus can only be spread by opening the message. Waitwaitwaitwait...keep reading. Many of us use MS-Outlook as our E-mail reader. If you use "Messages with Auto Preview", and a message with "bubble boy" came in, it fires off. When you use the auto-preview, you have actually opened the message before you even double-click on it!! Only MS Outlook/Outlook Express/IE Mail and a few other MAPI compliant e-mail readers are affected by bubble boy. Eudora, Netscape mailer, etc are all ok.

TomC tcarrington@relitech.com http://volksweb.relitech.com 85 Vanagon Crew Cab 82 Westy diesel=>gas conversion 65 Notchback