Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 17 Dec 1999 17:39:21 EST
From:         Scott Davis <OuiSki1@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Problems heading NORTH
Comments: To: VintageVUU@aol.com

dear listees-

[Thanks for response regarding 20W-50 oil in the northland last week! That turned out to be the least of our worries on our journey from SC to MN this week].

With no major problems from SC to IL, it was not a shock to start noticing a jerking, sort of hic-uping just south of Chi-town. Seems whenever we'd fill up, the problem would go away until around half to a quarter full. Smooth cruising around 70 m.p.h. was still managable even after the "bucking" started, as long as there was load on the engine and I kept it up over 4000 rpms. As soon as the rpms dropped to between 3000 to 4000, the bucking would start (almost like being out of gas or a bad fuel filter [which I just replaced]). After pulling off the interstate, running at slower rpms to the filling station, the engine would just purr- totally smooth and steady! I added a bottle of HEAT at one point, and a bottle of injector cleaner at another, but this after filling up and I think it is the full tank that temporarily fixed the problem, not the additives. My thoughts are: loose plug/ wire, (checked that, OK). Corosion in the gas tank blocking the fuel line?? Bad relay switch?? (but that would make it run badly at ALL rpms). Faulty whatever the name is for the engine management computer??

Other than both our rear CV joints going out in Janesville, WI (thank God there was a VW dealership there!!) It was a great trip, and we're really (NOT) looking forward to the drive back!

Any and all thoughts would be very welcome, and Thanks again!

Happy Holidays,

Scott and Candis [Roxi '88 Westy]

** HI TO DON AT VINTAGE!! ...WHAT WERE YOU SAYING ABOUT "NO GAURENTEES" !?! :))