Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 18 Dec 1999 08:53:35 -0900
From:         Turinsky <kturk@ALASKA.NET>
Subject:      What Size Inverter Do I Need?

Like many of you have already done, I'd like to install an onboard electrical system for some interior lights, Propex heater, stereo, 'puter, etc. all run off of an Optima battery.

The Optima battery rates at 52 amp/hrs. I've calculated my max daily consumption at roughly 35 amp/hrs. According to West Marine you should have at least 20% of your inverter's rating in amp-hrs of battery capacity. Therefore, I come up with about a 300 watt inverter (20% of 300 watts = 60 amp/hrs. compared to the Optima's rating of 52 amp/hrs.).

West Marine says that this calculation roughly "allows you to run your inverter for two hours at half power while consuming 50% of the battery's energy." Huh? I don't get it. Is this overkill, or not enough? Can a 300 watt inverter handle lights, heater, stereo, and 'puter running all at the same time for a few hours?

Now one of the ftp files I got off of gerry.vanagon.com says your battery capacity should be double your expected daily amp/hrs. consumption. According to this, I'd have to be driving around with 90 pounds of Optima batteries, i.e. two Optimas! Yikes! And who has room for two Optimas?

I'd also like this setup to recharge itself as I'm motoring down the road.

I'm really flying blind here. I've just read enough to make myself dangerous. Any guidance will be appreciated.

Hope you're all enjoying a big vat of figgy pudding.

Kevin '89 Syncro Westie "Anchored, down in Anchorage - Alaska"