Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 18 Dec 1999 16:32:01 EST
From:         Patrick Foltz <Pfunky@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Air Cooled heat----the quick, cheap and dirty way

After drooling over the inline heater boosters available and trying to justify the $69 plus shipping, for what looked like a fan and some tape, I finally found a solution at a marine supply store. Attwood's 4-inch, water-resistant turbo in-line blower, used for ventilating bilges on boats. $25 here in Richmond, they had two in stock, that look exactly like the fans pictured in those kits. They also had the 3 inch fans that look like the ones pictured in the bug kit. I installed mine next to the gearshift box, right above the spare, fits nicely, really helps the alt/blower. I have not done the insulation(it really doesn't get that cold in Richmond) but did replace the center section of holy tubing with some 4" ID alum dryer vent hose (it is too big inside to fit right over the vw collector, but fits tightly over the oem tubing, which fits tightly over the vw collector. I also bypassed the heater boxes as they were rotten and pricey, I will fix them back to original when time and money become cheaper. Temporary Temp control will be by blending fresh air into the airbox, just like them water boxers do! ANYWAY, it gets pretty dang hot and that's what I wanted. If you want more details on how to spend a fun day at the junkyard and parts stores and under your van, fee free to p-mail me.

Toasty warm in Richmond, P