Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 18 Dec 1999 19:24:30 -0600
From:         John Rodgers <inua@SCOTT.NET>
Subject:      Engine Rebuild at Last!!

Finally, after weeks of waiting, the rebuild of my 2.1L from my "88GL is underway.

I have STILL not decided whether to simply order and engine, send this one out for overhaul, or have a local mechanic do it.

I did have a trusted mechanic the engine, and because I really wanted to see what the internal failure was that brought the van down, I had him go ahead a pull the heads and cylinders. I wanted to have a good look. After all, this engine was the original that came in the vehicle, and it failed without warning at 78,000 miles.

Heads: Except for normal wear on the valves, both heads were in excellent condition. There was absolutely no evidence of corrosion anywhere. The mating surfaces were all as clean as a whistle, and the original machining marks were still present. There was no evidence that the cylinder failure had caused any valve or head damage. A clean up and a performance valve job with new valves and guides and they will be as good as new.

Cylinders: The cylinder that failed (#3) is the one forward, closest to the driver on the driver side of the vehicle, and .....as seen from the rear of the van...#3. Inspection of this cylinder and piston revealed evidence of overheating. There was no hole in the piston as originally suspected, but instead a burned place on the piston edge toward the driver. A piece of the piston was missing at that point, as well as a piece of the top ring at that point. The side of the piston was galled severely with pieces of piston torn away. The cylinder barrel was severely grooved with multiple grooves on the pistons burned side.

Cylinder #1 had a fouled plug and showed other evidence of oil fouling, indicating severely worn rings or eminante failure or that cylinder also. The head for this cylinder was in good condition except for the residue of burnt oil. The cylinder barrel was in excellent condition, with no evidence of barrel ware. All the crosshatching in the barrel was intact with no evidence of wear. The barrel is considered by the mechanic to be reuseable after the barrel glaze is removed.

Cylinders #2 and #4 were the same as #1. All crosshatching was intact and no evidence of wear. Very re-useable.

It was very evident even in this stage that metal had gone through the system. I think that on Monday I will have the case split and examine the internals for damage. After that, I will decide how to proceed.

When I started out on this journey I had planned to follow Robert Lilley's example an rebuild mine as he did his. I have changed that plan a bit. Will keep the list posted as to progress on this project.

John Rodgers "88GL owner