Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 18 Dec 1999 21:41:14 -0500
From:         "Horace K. Sawyer" <firestream@MINDSPRING.COM>
Subject:      Re: Engine Rebuild at Last!!
Comments: To: John Rodgers <inua@SCOTT.NET>

First, I agree with Ken, detonation is the most likely candidate. If you reassemble the motor without a thorough check of your FI system, distributor, rotor cap and button, you could be asking for trouble? I had a rotor button disintegrate on me in a big six BMW a couple years ago. Detonation killed 2 cylinders with chipped pistons and rings as you describe. Number 3 cylinder is apparently the "first" to get the bad news in the waterboxer.

Looking at the way this failure occurred, >and the pattern of failure in so many others, this puppy is going to get a >different engine sometime out in the future. >

Second, this statement is astounding to me! If you are planning on a different engine (I take it you mean a conversion) why not NOW? Wouldn't *now* be the time? You are locked into spending x dollars anyway. Why plan on doing a conversion later? There are many good reasons to go to a conversion. IMO it would improve the value of the van too, which will offset the cost. For just a bit more, you can have a van that performs, is a heck of a lot more fun to drive, will draw interest, have better reliability, and have a better resale. Add all that up: it reduces your expenditures over time. So a conversion doesn't cost as much as you think it does, IMO. Do you want the same problem to happen without warning again? As you said, apparently, there is no way to predict this disaster. Soooo, I urge you to consider even the lowest performance 'conversion' out there (whatever that is) and ride in relaxation and enjoyment. You obviously are agonizing about this whole deal. Do you really want to spend more time and anxiety trying to build a better motor, second guessing your mechanic, etc., and then STILL WORRYING about it? Because you will worry about it. I would. You only live once, so why put off the powerplant your prized van deserves, and the peace of mind and satisfaction you deserve. If nothing else, you should consider it as the most bang for you buck in terms of dollars expended on a new powerplant.

And no, I don't own a conversion company : ) NO, I don't have a Subaru motor to sell. : ) But I make a helluva salesman eh? I'm really just interested in the project. Either way, I hope you end up happy with it.

And no, I don't know which motor I will go with when the time comes. But I am thinking. I will probably ask Ken Wilford what is the simplest conversion overall and go from there. I imagine that will be some sort of Audi 5. But who knows, I might just talk myself into thinking that I am more important than I really am, and that I DESERVE something astounding: maybe even turbo! He he. Yes, turbo rules. Because I sure as heck deserve it with as much crap as I have to put up with on a day to day basis!

: )

Maybe my boxer will cash in soon . . .

Probably no chance. It runs too darn well.

HK