Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 20 Dec 1999 09:24:44 -0500
From:         Bob Donalds <bostneng@FCL-US.NET>
Subject:      Re: Valve adjustment
Comments: To: Darrell Boehler <midwesty@MIDWEST.NET>

Darrell Boehler wrote: > > Hi Bob, > Are you saying to allow 0.006 inch clearance with the lifter fully > expanded??? Just want to be sure I read you clear on this. > Darrell > > ----- Original Message ----- > From: Bob Donalds <bostneng@FCL-US.NET> > To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> > Sent: Monday, December 20, 1999 7:26 AM > Subject: Re: Valve adjustment > > > Shortlidge D Joel wrote: > > > > > > What is the easiest way to adjust the valves of the wasser > leaker? What > > > should I do if they still will not seat right? They currently not > making > > > any valve clatter and I think they many be to tight. What should my > next > > > course of action be if that does not get them to seal right? > > > > > > ___________________________________________________________________ > > > > Joel > > I have gotten to the point that I am shipping all my rebuilt engines > > with hydraulic lifters with the valves adjusted to .006ths clearance. > > the reason for this is that when the new engines warms up with the > > valves preloaded stay open causing low manifold vacuum and poor > > performance. Hydraulic lifters are not bleeding down as expected. I now > > tell my customers that they need to do a compression test before and > > after the engine has had the the lifters preloaded and they preload at > > there own risk! I have spoken with Greg at Gregs repair he reports > > compression tests before and after backing off my customers preloaded > > valve adjustment with gains of 20 pounds across the board. There has > > been no report of lifters failng because of valve adjuster lash > > (clearance) my own van has run this way for 2 years. Its not clear why > > this is happening but I have an article posted at my web site that goes > > into more detail. I have personaly backed off the adjusters for the > > editor of the vanagon manual and cured his low vacuum and low > > compression readings in his own vanagon. > > > > Bentley says > > Bentley gets its info from VW and passes it along without passing > > > jugdement they have told me they do not feel free to modify thats been > > > handed to them without a tech bulletin to back it up even when I have > > > proven to them that there is a better way > > > > I spoke to Ken at vanagain he told me he had heard of meet or show > > where someone tested the vacuum readings of all the vanagons that showed > > up and they all had low manifold vacuum can anybody else report on that? > > > > while we are on the subject valves I hear that there are sodium > > valve for sale but the only valves I have found listed are stelite faced > > they do have an S next to the part number these may be mistaken for > > sodium any leads, part numbers and phone numbers > > > > Bob Donalds > > http://www.bostonengine.com > > Hi Darrell thats correct .006ths clearance on all my hydraulic engines when they leave my shop this problem has not shown up when I preloaded the lifters and spun the engines to make oil pressure on the engine stand. Be clear that just touching 0 valve clearance can cause the same valve staying open problem when the engine warms up. after the engine has run a couple of weeks and after doing a compression test try preloading 1/4 turn thats all thats needed and that may be much for some lifters. also test the compression afterwards but wait a day or so for the lifters to self adjust. dont forget to do the compression test under the same conditions a warm not hot engine is best.

follow the tech article on adjusting hydraulic lifters on my page the only thing I have added to that is the compression tests.

I got the ecu and tool you sent it looks great I have not used it yet and will report when I have

Bob Donalds http://www.bostonengine.com