Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 20 Dec 1999 12:23:26 -0500
From:         "Fitz-Randolph, Douglas" <dfrandolph@TALKAM.NET>
Subject:      Re: Engine temperature in winter
Comments: To: Gregor Brandt <gbrandt@RUBICON.NET>

------------------------------------ Should I be placing a piece of cardboard in front of my radiator? Should I insulate the heater hoses. Obviously the thermostat works, I was told that there is no warmer thermostat available. ------------------------------------

wow - brrrr! that's cold.

Why do you say it (obviously) isn't your thermostat? What if it is stuck open? My van exhibited almost identical symptoms last year during a cold snap (-10F - about as cold as it gets here)- it would get kind of warm if I let it idle, the temp gauge would barely register and then bottom out as soon as I started moving. I was dressed for ice fishing and I was still freezing. During subsequent observations that winter, I noted that below +20F the amount of heat available at the vents varied in proportion to the outside temp. I replaced the thermostat and it's been fine since. I don't think insulating the heater hoses wouldn't have much effect in terms of your engine temp getting up into operating range. However, the thermostat continuing to send coolant to the radiator when the engine is too cold would - and diminished heat would be a consequence of that.

Of course, I'm not a mechanic - just sharing my opinion.

Doug Fitz-Randolph Yarmouth, ME '90 Syncro