Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 20 Dec 1999 19:55:10 -0800
From:         Austin <austins@IX.NETCOM.COM>
Subject:      shoulda waited for Friday(?)

I've been noticing a very disturbing trend recently; methinks 'our' Vanagons are plotting against us.

To wit - there currently seems to be a spate of *identical* symptoms of weird electrical gremlins, usually solved by replacing the ignition switch. Then there are tires, hundreds of which apparently wear out at the same time. Auxiliary batteries ...cracked coolant sensors...sudden MPG drops to ~10...disappearing 3-4 gear shifts...clutches gone south...sudden stumbling for no apparent reason...sticky lifters...seeping heads...air conditioners dying...and now one of our very own hijacked to a town in Texas that doesn't even exist (was a ransom paid to get out of that one? Roswell West?). These things all seem to happen at the same time to (statistically) too many of us.

I'm begining to think *our* Vanagons are communicating on their own virtual network, at this very moment, plotting to have a buncha brake calipers start binding, or windshields start leaking, or ????

There's a good chance it's our own arrogance that is the source of this problem. Taking a cue from the PC nazis in San Francisco (you no longer 'own' pets in SF, you are a *guardian*), I think we must consider ourselves as GUARDIANS of our (oops) *the* Vanagons we own (oops again) care for. As Native Americans understood themselves as stewards of the land, so we must approach these vehicles that we are being allowed, at their pleasure, to share.

Just a wondering mind wandering - or a wandering mind wondering -

Austin