Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 20 Dec 1999 20:42:54 -0800
From:         Davidson <wdavidson@THEGRID.NET>
Subject:      Re: to the list
Comments: To: BRIER5@AOL.COM

Sam, There are a million small things to look for, but the expensive ones that I can think of right now are: 1. If it is a Syncro, make sure all tires are the same brand, model, size, tread pattern and degree of wear. If they are not, the viscous coupling may be bad or its life shortened. 2. If it is a Syncro, it should not feel like the tires are scrubbing whey you go around a turn with a normal turning radius. If it does, the viscous coupling may be engaged all the time. There is also a test for making sure the viscous coupling does engage when needed, but I have forgotten the details... search the archives if no one else volunteers this information. 3. Crawl under the engine and look for head gasket leaks... coolant leaks often show themselves as yellow/green stuff that has oozed out of the head gasket and solidified in small protruding deposits. 4. If it has air conditioning make sure it works. It can cost over $1000 to get it fixed in some cases. 5. Generally look it over. If it looks like it has been well taken care of then it probably has. If it looks abused, then it probably was. Look at the oil dip stick... is the oil dirty? is it full? Look at the coolant fill tank... is it full or low. If it has a bra insist on looking under it as bras can hide paint or body damage. Crawl under the van... look for new parts, new paint, etc... I looked at one once and it had lots of black paint that was an attempt to cover up new repairs to a van that had been in an accident. 6. There is a web site (ask the list, someone knows I'm sure) that you can enter the VIN number and get back all records of all the service that was performed at VW dealers over the years since it was new... this can give you some idea of what was repaired, when, frequency of service, etc. The odometer readings at time of service can also give you an idea if the odometer has been cooked or now. 7. Definitely drive them both. Compare. Trust what you feel. 8. If it is hard to shift into any of the gears when shifting that can be the first sign of a transmission rebuild in the near future. Though this is somewhat normal when it is cold outside. 9. It should have tires rated for the weight of a fully packed Westy... I forget the weight specifications, but there are VERY few tires that make the grade. See the archives. 10. Open the engine compartment and smell for gas. Look at ALL the fuel hoses for signs of seeping. It is fairly common for older vanagons to develop gas leaks at the hose connections that often result in a burned out/ totaled vanagon. I've seen many of these in the junk yards. Good Luck... that's more than I knew when I bought mine. Also you might get better/more responses if you repost your question with a more specific subject line so people know what your post is about... something like... "Buying used.. what look for?" Bill 90 Westy Syncro -----Original Message----- From: Sam Josovitz <BRIER5@AOL.COM> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Date: Monday, December 20, 1999 5:57 PM Subject: to the list