Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 15 Dec 1999 16:54:45 -0600
From:         John Rodgers <inua@SCOTT.NET>
Subject:      Re: Porta Potties / Heating / Radiator Bleeding / MB Vito {Long}
Comments: To: David Clark <DavidClark@HUMBERONIA.FREESERVE.CO.UK>

David, regards jacking up the van from the rear to bleed off any air trapped in the vanagon cooling system.....that is exactly what my mechanic did. Picked that sucker way up in the rear. Ran it until the thermostat opened, then revved it while the cap was off the expansion tank. When done, topped it off, and away I went. All worked well.

Of course 3500 miles later I melted a piston, but I really don't thaink that was realate to the air bleed job.

John Rodgers '88 GL driver

David Clark wrote:

> Hi from the UK Forgive the length of this posting I've had a lot of > Mail to catch up on. Porta PottiesI agree with all the comments said > about porta potties we never leave home without ours, it's a very > useful accessory and fits in it's own cupboard in our Autosleeper > conversion with the gaz bottles. Our {now} six year old has been used > to using it on every trip. Often whilst travelling across Europe she > says she is desperate to 'go' and not being able to stop on the > Motorway she has sat quite happily at 60-65mph in the van and > performed!It's also useful when you do get the Services, as more than > likely those Tour coaches have got there before you and there is a > queue of 40-50 people standing crossed legged when you get there!On > many French service areas, they only have French loos, have any of you > come across these ? They resemble holes in the ground over which you > have to squat; my wife refuses to use them. In Holland the Porta > Pottie was invaluable as there are very few Ladies toilets around.I > also placed silver reflective tint on the windows of our van, to > reflect the heat of the sun in Italy and to prevent drawing all the > curtains when we stop to use the loo - mind you it's an odd feeling > sitting on the loo being able to look out knowing those looking at the > van cannot see in.................if only they knew!!!We tend to leave > the trap door open slightly when going through the EuroTunnel and > crossing the Swiss Alps and during sudden changes of temperature to > prevent pressure build up. We always use granulated chemicals - it's > less messy and the packets store easily in the van.......they don't > roll like liquid containers on mountain roads.I have had the water > reservoir freeze whilst at home several times in the UK with no ill > effect on the plastic, don't overfill and leave the ice somewhere to > expand - does take a while to thaw out though!! CoffeeInstant coffee > everytime, no time when we are on the move. Now a good cup of tea is > an entirely different matter...........................but then you'd > expect that from an Englishman! Radiator BleedingWhilst in Italy the > year before last we had water pump problems and had to spend a day at > a VW garage whilst they found and replaced the pump. My Haynes manual > says the front of the van should be raised, and by the look of the > postings on this list the Bentley manual says the same. I was amazed > that the mechanic actually raised the rear of the van after replacing > the pump then raised the revs. I was told by the Manager he knew what > he was doing when I queried it. The van was OK for the rest of the > holiday and all the way home1500 miles and has been ever > since................ any comments? Karl Loved the Camping hints I > think the last but one comment could also apply T2 1600 > Aircooled!! HeatingWe have a hot air heating system built into our > van. It runs off the gaz and auxiliary battery, and works fine takes > about half an hour before the thermometer hits 80f. However, I would > not like to leave it on for too long because of the battery drain. We > use a household fan heater which is quieter, and have used this a > couple of times when on a site. The fibreglass hi-top on our van keeps > the heat in better than the raising roof campers, and my daughter soon > says "it's too hot up here"if we leave the heating on for too long. MB > VitoI was suprised at the interest about this van, compared with the > T3 VW {Vanagon} it's quite small, and front wheel drive, it feels > smaller that the T4 VW. Give me the T3 any day! Good quality > van! David Clark > 1985 VW Autosleeper VHT 1.9 2WD > www.soft.net.uk/vwt2oc > {see members rides} > 1960 Humber Super Snipe Estate 3L > www.humberonia.freeserve.co.uk > 1985 Fiat Uno 1.1L automatic {wife's}

[text/html]