Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 21 Dec 1999 14:36:47 -0800
From:         Stuart MacMillan <stuart@COBALTGROUP.COM>
Subject:      Re: Unleaded Regular or Unleaded Premium? (Chemistry, beware!)
Comments: To: Dana Morphew <kdm@WHIDBEY.COM>

I used to be a chemist in a previous life and sold analytical equipment to oil refiners, so here is my $.02 on this topic:

Dana Morphew wrote: > > Do all knock sensors adjust the timing through a range of degrees above > and below the adjusted distributor setting? Do you know what the range > is?

Knock sensors are usually piezoelectric ceramic devices that can detect the shock wave (knock) set up in the engine when the air/fuel mixture detonates all at once rather than burning evenly. The ECU can retard the timing electronically based on the signal from the knock sensor over a fairly narrow range, but I don't know how much.

How much xylene or toluene would one add to a gallon of 87 octane > to change it to 92 octane?

You have to determine this by trial and error. This is how the oil companies do it.

"Octane" is actually a pure aliphatic hydrocarbon, C8H18, and is assigned the rating of 100. The mixture of shorter and longer chain hydrocarbons that result from the distillation of crude oil is then measured against the "octane standard." Since gasoline is a refined natural product each distillation is different, and they use a test engine with a variable compression ratio (head can be adjusted up and down), to find the knock point for each batch of gas. They will then mix distillation fractions and additives (formerly tetraethyl lead; anyone on the list remember when high octane gas used to be called "ethyl?") to get the gas within spec.

I've been adding fuel conditioner at each > fillup for my diesel Caddy, so this would not be an inconvenience at > each fill of my Vanagon. I'll have to check on the cost of xylene and > toluene to see if there is money to be saved here. Thanks for the very > informative post, David.

There is no money to be saved, only more to spend to gain a minimal boost in performance. Today's gas has a full additive package (including detergents to keep injectors clean, thanks to the BMW gas spec which is now a standard). You really don't need to add anything more unless you get condensation in your tank, at which point you can add some Heet (alcohol) to suspend the water and carry it out.

I also don't think it would be worth the risk to carry around gallons of highly flammable xylene or toluene in your trunk! > > -Dana- > > David Marshall wrote: > ... > > all done using a 1982 Rabbit Distributor with vacuum advance and vacuum > > retard - generally considered the best performance non-knock sensor > > distributor. If there was a knock sensing ignition present, there would > > have been no knock as it would have retarded the timing until it > > disappeared - thus giving you less power. With 87 octane fuel in a high > ...

-- Stuart MacMillan Manager, Case Program 800-909-8244 ext 208

Getting your share of the Net yet? http://www.cobaltgroup.com http://www.casedealer.com/demo http://www.caseihdealer.com/demo