Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 21 Dec 1999 14:58:32 -0800
From:         Scott Fraser <kn6f@DOLPHINSCI.COM>
Subject:      13 Busses in Ecology Junk Yard (long)
Comments: To: type2@type2.com, vintagebus@type2.com

Earlier in the week, I mentioned that there happened to be a few busses in the ecology junk yard in wilmington ca. I was surprised at the volume of off list inquiries that resulted. Rather than try and recollect all the details about the vehicles, and give out erroneous information, I dropped by there this morning (80 degree weather & sunshine is great on the 1st day of winter). I have provided a list of the vehicles which includes vanagons, type IIs and one burnt out splitty. The vanagon westy was the best condition of all and I suspect that the engine and trans will work just fine if transplanted into another vehicle. It had a fire in the area above the trans that looks to be where a gas heater might have been.

The busses are at Ecology Auto Wrecking Corner of Lomita & Wilmington Blvds, 2 miles south of the 405 fwy Wilmington CA 310-835-5865

I have included the row that the vehicle is in and the date it arrived in the yard. They said that they usually clear a row out after it has been there 3 weeks. I have found that the trucks typically stay a bit longer. The rows are numbered from north to south, north being row 1 and the farthest south row is 10.

If there is something that you just have to have and figure that with the cost of the part, shipping and throwing a bone my way to take it out and pack it up for you, pmail me OFF the list and we'll see what we can work out.

One of you guys were looking for rear shock supports for a splitty. They were in the kombi, but a much easier way would be to contact Bus Boys and ask to buy a set of shock mounts that they sell with their IRS kit.

Happy Holidays, Scott Fraser

Row: 3 Date in Yard: 11-24-99 Year: 1/71 Vin: 5656 Color: White General Condition: Stripped Front Brakes: spindles & torsion arms left Rear Brakes: out to hubs. Engine/Trans: neither CVs/Axles: yes Windshield: yes Driver Door: none Passenger Door: ok Side Door: ok Seats: none Bumpers: rear ok Comments: none

Row: 4 Date in Yard: 12-1-99 Year: 4/83 Vin: 3549 Color: lt/dk brown Vanagon GL General Condition: Stripped Front Brakes: out to wheels & tires Rear Brakes: out to wheels & tires Engine/Trans: neither CVs/Axles: yes Windshield: yes Driver Door: none Passenger Door: dent lower front corner Side Door: ok Seats: none Bumpers: not really Comments: none

Row: 6 Date in Yard: 12-9-99 Year: 10/77 Vin: 8454 Color: brown/tan General Condition: so-so Front Brakes: out to wheels & tires Rear Brakes: right rear brakes gone Engine/Trans: on ground missing heads, no trans CVs/Axles: yes Windshield: yes Driver Door: ok, no glass Passenger Door: ok, no glass Side Door: none Seats: none Bumpers: front bumper ok Comments: headlights, blinkers still there

Row: 6 Date in Yard: 12-10-99 Year: 3/80 Vin: 7507 Color: lt yellow westy vanagon L General Condition: Good, lite fire damage Front Brakes: calipers gone Rear Brakes: out to wheels Engine/Trans: in place, dual carb engine, auto trans CVs/Axles: yes Windshield: yes Driver Door: good, speaker hole Passenger Door: good, speaker hole Side Door: good Seats: front & passenger Bumpers: so-so Comments: stove, sink, refrig combo looks good; pop top in one piece, canvas ripped; bed in excellent condition; looks to have had a gas heater fire in the area above the transmission.

Row: 5 Date in Yard: 11-29-99 Year: 79 Vin: 1059 Color: brown/orange camper conversion (not westy) General Condition: bad Front Brakes: out to wheels Rear Brakes: out to wheels Engine/Trans: neither CVs/Axles: yes Windshield: yes Driver Door: marginal Passenger Door: marginal Side Door: bad Seats: none Bumpers: none Comments: good condition inside roof mounted ac unit all intact, front crunched, dash stripped, interior trashed.

Row: 8 Date in Yard: ??-??-99 Year: '67 Kombi Vin: 7032637 Color: used to be velvet green General Condition: EXTREME fire damage Front Brakes: out to wheels Rear Brakes: tires burnt off, but intact Engine/Trans: engine burnt, trans ok CVs/Axles: axles in place Windshield: none Driver Door: door very dry, smoke damage, frame felt melted Passenger Door: same as driver Side Doors: very burnt & warped Seats: none Bumpers: front w/overriders & had full of dents. Comments: worst burnt out vehicle I have ever seen. Carb sits as a melted pool of aluminum. Aluminum strip along roof for tent has been melted into rain gutter; 67 only dual circuit master cylinder is in place but hard to get at due to location above wheels used to support bus. No body panels are worth cutting due to warpage from fire & water. Steering box is out and on the ground.

Row: 8 Date in Yard: 12-14-99 Year: 03/83 Vin: 0576 Color: Blue/White General Condition: not bad Front Brakes: out to hubs Rear Brakes: out to hubs Engine/Trans: in place, auto trans CVs/Axles: yes Windshield: yes Driver Door: good, interior panels broken Passenger Door: same as driver door Side Door: - Seats: all in place and good condition with no rips, middle seat too. Bumpers: - Comments: brake lite assembly intact, dash gone

Row: 8 Date in Yard: 12-10-99 Year: 81 Vin: 7751 Color: blue/white General Condition: covered with dirt, was registered in catalina island Front Brakes: out to wheels Rear Brakes: out to wheels Engine/Trans: in place/ auto trans CVs/Axles: yes Windshield: yes Driver Door: ok Passenger Door: ok Side Door: dented & rusty Seats: none Bumpers: - Comments: brake light assembly, drivers reverse lens is cracked

Row: 10 Date in Yard: 11-05-99 Year: 1979 Vin: 3987 Color: ?? General Condition: stripped Front Brakes: missing calipers Rear Brakes: out to wheels Engine/Trans: neither CVs/Axles: yes Windshield: yes Driver Door: none Passenger Door: none Side Door: none Seats: none Bumpers: none Comments: none

Row: 10 Date in Yard: 11-02-99 Year: 1973 Vin: 2788 Color: blue General Condition: stripped Front Brakes: no calipers Rear Brakes: missing hubs Engine/Trans: neither CVs/Axles: yes Windshield: none Driver Door: none Passenger Door: none Side Door: none Seats: none Bumpers: none Comments:

Row: 10 Date in Yard: 11-05-99 Year: 1970 Vin: - Color: white General Condition: stripped Front Brakes: missing calipers Rear Brakes: out to wheels Engine/Trans: none CVs/Axles: yes Windshield: yes Driver Door: none Passenger Door: none Side Door: none Seats: none Bumpers: - Comments: lots of window glass on floor

Row: 10 Date in Yard: 11-02-99 Year: 10/76 Vin: 0003 Color: orange yellow/ white General Condition: stripped Front Brakes: missing calipers Rear Brakes: right rear hub inside bus Engine/Trans: neither CVs/Axles: none Windshield: none Driver Door: none Passenger Door: none Side Door: none Seats: none Bumpers: - Comments:

Row: 10 Date in Yard: 11-02-99 Year: 1972 Vin: 0034 Color: white General Condition: stripped Front Brakes: missing calipers Rear Brakes: out to wheels Engine/Trans: none CVs/Axles:yes Windshield: none Driver Door: below avg Passenger Door: below avg Side Door: none Seats: none Bumpers: - Comments: