Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 21 Dec 1999 10:36:43 -0800
From:         Joel Cort <joel_cort@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: solution to HEADSTUD HORROR!
Comments: To: James Ruch <jpeterruch@HOTMAIL.COM>

Jim,

I feel for ya Man! Apparently this is a problem with VW studs because Fast German Auto sell replacement studs made of stronger stuff. I'm sure others sell new studs as well but check their catalog out at www.fastgerman.com - not cheap

I just had both heads replaced and I let CDI in Victor NY do the job and worry about that. It cost me about $1800 (2 new heads at $550 each) and a week of riding the bus. Most of all I did not have the time to do it myself. They pull the engine out to do this. I'll bet that your engine is still in the van?

What to do what to do! Back when I worked in a garage with my father this occurred often enough - specially when I put my torque to the bolts.

Here's what my father the mechanic would have done. The only long term solution is to get to the broken bolt portion out of the case and replace it with a good stud. To get to it you should remove everything in the way. The broken stud can be removed pretty easily once you can get to the problem.

Tools required: (Can be obtained from any FLAP/Sears)

drill bit: to match extractor and < bold diameter. You want to maximize the hole without drilling out the side of the tread into the case - be cautious.

extractor bit: of a smaller diameter than the broken stud. Get the biggest extractor that matches the bolt diameter. You will want to insert as much of the extractor as possible into the broken bolt

Steps: 1) cuss in a foreign language 2) Remove everything all over again 3) the new head gasket is still good but the glue will have to be removed and re-applied - you may need a new gasket if is glued to the metal. 4) pull the cylinder sleeves out ( I'm not too sure the process for putting the cylinders back on - anyone else? but follow Bentley) 5) keep pulling the water jackets out to get to the broken stud (again follow Bentley) 6) tie up the pistons so they are out of the way 7) locate the perfect center of the broken bolt with a punch to center a drill bit - file flat if required 8) drill a hole through to insert the extractor so the bolt is as straight as possible to keep from drilling through and into the engine case. 9a) Use the extractor tool and torque counter-clockwise to unscrew the frigin broken piece of stud out of the case. 9b) cuss again if this is not working and the bolt wont budge. A small amount of heat may be required to convince the bolt to turn. Be careful with the source of heat as to not smoke other vital parts and plumbing. 10) Smile! your halfway there 11) at this point I would replace all the studs since it is much easier to do it right now. 12) use a vise grip or two nuts together to unscrew the studs 13) insert new stud using the two-nut together method - follow Bentley 14) clean up any cuttings and change the oil if drill cuttings got that far. Put new seals as required 15) install cylinder jacket and sleeves using a ring compression tool - follow bentley 16) Re install head with goop and head gasket 17) put the yellow goop on the cap nuts and torque away - this time it should not bust on ya 18) reinstall exhaust system 19) add coolant (you know the procedures here!) 20) Smile and have a cool beverage

Good luck, Please let me know what you did or if you have an alternate solution.

Stop on by if you get to the flower city of Rochester

Joel 89 Syncro Westy GL Rochester NY.

--- James Ruch <jpeterruch@HOTMAIL.COM> wrote: > Don't read this with the lights out... it could > happen to you! > > Twenty some hours into a both-sides head gasket job > (including resurfacing > of the old mating surfaces etc)... first side > done... going into the final > torque sequence (anicipating the sound of the engine > firing on the first > attempt)... at the specified 37 ft. lbs.... out of > the dark and gloomy > nothing... PING!! and my wrench goes slack. I knew > it wasn't good. > > I had noted that the head studs didn't look so good > and that if I ever did > this job again, I might have to replace them. One > of them (number 2 in the > torque sequence) failed. It broke way down near the > crankcase... before any > threads that might be there. > > I am thinking about threading the hole in the head > that the stud passes > through and simply plugging it. > > Questions: > > 1. What are the chances of my getting away with > this "plug plan". > > 2. If I have to replace the stud(s), do I have to > split the crankcase? > > 3. "To me -- to me -- why do these things always > happen to me?" > > Thanks for any help anyone can provide. > > Still smiling (amazingly) > > Jim Ruch > '85 Weekender; "Snugvagon" > Alfred, NY > ______________________________________________________ > Get Your Private, Free Email at > http://www.hotmail.com >