Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 23 Dec 1999 16:17:21 -0800
From:         Tim King <tking_ms@MSN.COM>
Subject:      Syncro Tranny Removal Procedure/tips
Comments: cc: Tim King <tking_ms@HOTMAIL.COM>

Hi Listers -- thanks for all the tranny advice. While I'm already putting the fourth-gear bungee tips to use, I think you've all convinced me that I better just do it and have my Syncro tranny rebuild sooner rather than later. I really want my van functioning for New Years so my wife and I can spent the last evening of 1999 camping at a ski area. I suppose I could put it off until after then and hope my bungee cord holds. On the other hand, Daryl at AA Transaxle is local and has quick turnaround, and I'm off work next week, so I have time to do the remove and replace. Hmmmmm....decisions.

This must be a sign that I'm getting older and wiser. Instead of playing fast and loose and hoping I'm lucky enough not to blow up the tranny on a snow mountain pass, I _think_ I'm opting for a pre-emptive maintenance strike (I can just hear Bulley clap his hands with glee!). So, the day after Christmas, I'll be on my back on my cold driveway attempting to pull my tranny.

What I'm looking for is tips and BTDTs. Anything to make my life a bit easier, and the job a little quicker. The skid plate is off and the syncro driveshaft is already out. The clutch was done at a VW dealer about 4000 miles ago, so I'm thinking I don't need to do that -- if anything, I'll tackle that this summer when I do the 2.0L motor swap (yes, I'm going with the higher 4th gear now). I have a floor jack and jack stands. I have a compressor and could use the excuse to buy some air tools (though I can borrow some, too). I have a Bentley manual that I plan to study before I dive in. Daryl says I should allow about four hours. Any other estimates? Tools? Timesavers?

In kind of a sick way, I'm sort of looking forward to this job (please, don't tell my wife. I can use the sympathy ;-). I figure this job will help me decide whether I want to tackle my engine swap on my own. Heck, if I succeed, I'm one step closer to Vanagon independence.

BTW, this is turning into quite the car weekend and week. Also on tap: Replacing the clutch pedal in my Audi, installing my CatPlat heater in the Westy and installing an optima in the Westy (tip to NW listers, GI Joes sells the Optima 750 -- yellow top with side posts - for $159. I was going to go the dual U-1 route, but this was only about $10 more for an easy plug and play solution).

As always, thanks for your help.

Happy Holidays to All.

Tim King Seattle, WA 87 Syncro Westy -- 2WD, no fourth gear, still loved 89 Audi 200tqw -- clutch pedal? we don't need no stinkin' clutch pedal!