Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 23 Dec 1999 09:55:35 -0800
From:         Brent Christensen <bpchristensen1@HOME.COM>
Subject:      Re: reality check

Just had to toss in my $0.02 on this thread...

After getting my Syncro last April, I ran a little comparison. Since I keep ALL my repair receipts, I added up the total cost of ownership (exclusive of oil changes) for a '91 Taurus SHO, a '95 Jeep Cherokee, and the Syncro Westy (since I had ALL of the repair receipts for it including oil changes). I took the following into account: 1. Cost to purchase new 2. Current resale value 3. Total cost of repairs

I took the depreciation (#1-#2), added #3, and divided by the miles on the car. Guess what? The Syncro was the least expensive of the three, though the Cherokee ran a close third. (Cost per mile for the Syncro was about 1/2 the SHO). This is INCLUDING a complete engine replacement on the Syncro last year! I did not figure fuel into the equation, since they all get about the same fuel economy.

Granted, this little "study" was skewed in favor of the Syncro due to their high resale value here in California. (Still worth about 70% of its original 1989 price), but I was surprised (and encouraged) by it.

Brent Christensen '89 GL Syncro Westy "Klaus" Santa Barbara, CA