Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 24 Dec 1999 04:20:20 -0800
From:         "Charles \"Luke\" Lukey" <luke@SEANET.COM>
Subject:      Re: my santa analysis FRIDAY
Comments: To: Dan Soiney <soineydg@MAIL.MILWAUKEE.K12.WI.US>

What you engineers failed to factor in is that Santa ain't a wuss...

Charles "Luke" Lukey Seattle, WA

My brother Matt came up with this....

Hello everyone and happy holidays!

I was reading Brian's post regarding Santas travels and I must say as an enginner myself, it was quite interesting. I did find a couple of errors which I would like to clear up. I also compiled a couple of new thoughts.....

Paragraph IV states that Santa would be subjected to 17,000 g's. When I read this it seemed too low so I recalculated it. To accelerate Santa and his contents from 0 to 650 miles per second(or 3,432,000 ft/sec)in .001 second gives an average acceleration of 3400000000 ft/sec ^2 (the ^2 means squared). This subjects poor old St Nick to 106000000 g's. The blob of pink goo still applies although it happens a little faster. Assuming the 250 pound Santa, the force on his chest would be 85000000000 pounds-force. With a chest area of 20 square feet(2880 sq inches), this gives a stress of 290000000 psi. remember that mild steel(1018 variety) yields at 30000 psi.

paragraph IV also states that Santa would be subjected to a centrifugal force. This is not true as he is not traveling in a circle. Even if hey was, he would be experiencing centripital force.....

Now I though it was important to determine the horsepower required to accelerate Santa from 0 to 650 miles per second in .001 second. For purposes of the calculation, I am assuming that this happens on an infinite plane with no wind resistence. OK--The kinetic energy required to propel Santa to the above mentioned speed is 580000000000000000000 ft-lbs(really). To achieve this in .001 seconds would require 1050000000000000000000 HP.If you had a lot of room and wanted to get the above mentioned horsepower from your standard 1600 dp motor, you would need 17000000000000000000 of them. You say "too many?" How about a few top fuel drag motors putting out 2000 HP each. With this combo, you would still need 8500000000 of them. Assuming that you wanted to purchase the 1600 DP motors, you would have to spend $5100000000000000000000 assuming a price of $300 each (volume discount). Well how long would it take to get them, you then ask. Well if you took every VW engine ever made(25 million?), you would still need an additional 680000000000 more of them. If you could get a million a year, it wuold take 680000 years. It looks like a little OT at the Pueble plant!

Now you are probably thinking--Lets put this power in my split! Lets say for the purposes of this discussion, you can use one engine to generate the necessary horsepower for the above mentioned performance. However, since you are like me, you do not have the cash to build a trans for it. So what kind of rpm can you expect from your motor with a bus trans with the following ratios: 4.12:1 R and P, .89 fourth gear, 25 in tall tire, no reduction boxes. No reduction boxes!! at 3432000 ft/sec who needs reduction boxes! Well I hope you get a quality engine because at 3432000 ft/sec(assuming that all stays together) you are spinning your motor at 68300000 rpm.

Ok now, you are cruising at 3432000 mph with no cross wind(I hope) and you want to stop. If it takes you one second to react to a deer in the road you have traveled 650 miles(whoa!). The amount of energy required to stop this bus--assuming that the bus weighs 3000 lbs (loaded westy) and you want to stop in 500 ft is 548000000000000 ft lbs. or 740000000000000 Joules for those who remember their chemistry class. If you wanted to heat some water with the above mentioned energy, you could heat 1770000000000 grams of water or about 480000000 gallons from 0 to 100 degrees celsius--assuming it's distilled.

I could go on and on......(he he he)

Merry Christmas from your nerdy enguneer'd Kaiser

Matt

GRAB THE GATOR! FREE SOFTWARE DOES ALL THE TYPING FOR YOU! Tired of filling out forms and remembering passwords? Gator fills in forms and passwords with just one click! Comes with $50 in free coupons! <a href=" http://clickme.onelist.com/ad/gator4 ">Click Here</a>