Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 24 Dec 1999 16:26:34 +0100
From:         Robin Oomkes <robin.oomkes@SWIFT.COM>
Subject:      Re: traction, transmissions

> This reminds me of a friend in France who insisted that her little 2CV > (Deux-chevaux) was > great in the snow because it was so *light.*

My empirical experience bears this out. I used to have a Citroen AX, the spiritual successor of the 2CV, and it had marvellous traction in the snow. It was a light weight (690 kg, I think the 2CV is 625 kg), front wheel drive car.

I had a Swedish friend, a Saab enthusiast, who always said his Saab 99 was unbeatable in the snow, especially compared with his neighbours' Volvos, due to its large wheels (15" was pretty large not too long ago), front wheel drive and narrow tyres.

Front wheel drive must have something to do with it, too.

My EUR 0.02

Robin 90 Vanagon Atlantic TD (on Conti winter tyres, but no snow to try them with) 84 Westfalia Joker D (on Michelin Agilis M+S, just a bit better than summer tyres)