Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 24 Dec 1999 13:13:36 -0500
From:         "Stanley, Kerry" <kstanley@CAS.ORG>
Subject:      Re: Syncro Tranny Removal Procedure/tips
Comments: To: Tim King <tking_ms@MSN.COM>

Hi Tim, all listees,

Tim asked about tips on removing the Syncro trans. I've removed mine twice, pretty much following the Bentley manual.

In one step they have you remove the front trans mounting from the rubber donut mounting brackets. I did it once this way and on the second time I left the trans connected to this mounting bracket, and just removed the bolts holding the bracket to the frame. This seemed easier than playing with the rubber donuts and trying to get to the nut on top of the rubber donut.

After removing the front trans bracket they have you lower the trans 6 inches or so. The more the better, but... In my case lowering the trans put strain on a coolant hose connection on the right front that goes up to the coolant ring that goes around the engine compartment. Loosen this coolant ring from the plastic holders so it can droop down into the engine compartment. When I did some coolant work I replaced the short coolant hose with a longer one so no strain anymore.

The biggest problem I have had is that during reinstall the starter motor catches. The silvery insulation gets messed up. The last time I removed the starter motor, and got the trans connected to the engine, but not tightened up let, and with the front end still pretty low. Then reinstalled the starter motor. The top bolt that holds the starter motor on is the trans-engine mounting bolt as well. It has a 8mm hex socket on the head end and a 15mm nut I believe. The socket end is toward the front (at starter motor flange) and the nut is in the engine compartment.

I've done this on my back in the driveway, so it may take me longer than most. Good part of a day.

I ALWAYS replace the pilot bearing in the crank end, that the tranny input shaft goes into. It goes bad long before any other clutch part. A lot of work for a cheap part. If this goes, you may get rough engagement but on mine the sloppiness in the input shaft eventually ruined the input seal to the tranny, and I was leaking trans fluid pretty bad.

Good luck,

Kerry kstanley@cas.org '86 syncro 171k

-----Original Message----- From: Tim King [mailto:tking_ms@MSN.COM] Sent: Thursday, December 23, 1999 7:17 PM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Syncro Tranny Removal Procedure/tips

snip

What I'm looking for is tips and BTDTs. Anything to make my life a bit easier, and the job a little quicker. The skid plate is off and the syncro driveshaft is already out. The clutch was done at a VW dealer about 4000

snip

Tim King Seattle, WA 87 Syncro Westy -- 2WD, no fourth gear, still loved 89 Audi 200tqw -- clutch pedal? we don't need no stinkin' clutch pedal!