Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 24 Dec 1999 13:09:17 -0800
From:         Art Beutler <abeutler@GETNET.COM>
Subject:      Head Job Finished - Van now running!

As many of you suspected the reason for my Wasserboxer (formerly Wasserleaker) not running after resealing the heads was incorrectly installed pushrods - in spades! Following the given advice, I ran a compression check on all 4 cylindars - those on the left side were fine and those on the right had ZERO compression. Pulling the rocker cover on the right side quickly revealed the problem - THREE bent pushrods.

With Christmas nearing, I assessed my chances of getting the parts quickly via internet as near zero - normally this is the first place I turn and generally get excellent service. Calling around town showed that our more progressive dealers had one pushrod each (for a total of two). Fortunately, the nearest dealer (Camelback VW in Phoenix) made good on their promise to try to get me some by the next day. Arriving home from Camelback with pushrods in hand, it took around an hour to install them, make sure they were installed right (yes, you can see up there with a penlight unless you are on the left side with all the plumbing installed), fully turn the engine the engine over by hand to ensure no obstructions, test compression, and run the engine.

The two most important pieces of infomation here are:

1) Ensure that the pushrods are centered on the lifters. If they are not, the solid part of the lifter will compress the pushrod and bend it.

2) By leaving the sparkplugs out and turning the engine over without compression, you can easily feel any mechnical difficulties before they translate into broken parts. Alternatively, leaving the plugs in while cleaning the heads leads to gunged up plugs and difficulty in turning the motor as necessary to get valves away from the fully opened state to be able to start rocker arm nuts.

Again, thanks for all the advice and help! Hopefully my van will not regain Wasserleaker status soon!

Art Beutler