Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 25 Dec 1999 22:53:06 -0500
From:         Dominique Cormann <kozmik@HOME.COM>
Subject:      Re: Oil for infrequently driven vehicles
Comments: To: "T. Thompson" <tonyt_eye@ns.sympatico.ca>

Yes for gas engines look for a SJ on the diesel oil. So I far I have yet to see one that doesn't have a S rating on the bottle as well. At least none come to mind right now.

PS: The canadian tire product is actually the Esso XD3 line. Thats who makes it for them. IMHO opinion there are much better products among the mineral oils. Chevrons delo 400, and petro canada's DURON line are both group II oils, and are availible to use in canada. Being group II oils (esso's product is a group I oil), they are much more stable. They can handle high temps better, and they stay fluid longer in cold temps. They clean better, produce less deposits...they are just better.

That and you can buy them cheaper then the CTC product to boot.

For mineral diesel oils, the winners are all the ones that are based on group II oils. All the companies are moving to hydrocracked oils, but some have made the move sooner then others. Chevron delo, Pennzoils long life, and Petro Canada's Duron are all great oils. Group II oils cost about the same to produce, so they can offer a better product with no cost increase. All these oils would make great oils for an infrequently used gas car. The extra antiwear additves of diesel oils, are there because diesel are often used in high load situations. I would say that the vanagon motors are a high load situation, so this is another area that diesel oils could help a vanagon.

Chevrons products tend to be the best value since Petrocanada and Pennzoil both license the technology from Chevron so they must pay a royalty to use the technology. Because of this chevrons products are cheaper.

Here are two good articles that talk about how group II and III oils are the future of mineral based oils.

http://www.truklink.com/articles/te/article0143.html http://www.theautochannel.com:8080/news/press/date/19990520/press023679.html

-- ============================================================--------- Dominique Cormann Email: kozmik@home.com Homepage: http://kozmik.guelph.on.ca Diesel page: http://kozmik.guelph.on.ca/gtdproject 84 Rabbit D - daily driver 84 Rabbit GTD - work'in on it