Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 26 Dec 1999 16:01:35 -0500
From:         Dominique Cormann <kozmik@HOME.COM>
Subject:      Re: Oil for infrequently driven vehicles
Comments: To: "T. Thompson" <tonyt_eye@ns.sympatico.ca>

Oops, sorry about that, ya I did kinda carried away. ;-)

Yes the pennzoil only comes in the 15w40, but yes the duron comes in a 10w30 and 15w40, so you could use the 10w30 in the winter.

But if vehicle doesn't do a lot of driving, lets say 5000 to 7000 kms a year. You could consider a 5w40 full synthetic diesel oil, and just keep it in for the full year. Being a diesel oil it will have better acid neutralizers so you could just change the oil once a year. Mobil and chevrons diesel 5w40's both are good to -54c and -51c respectively.

Or you could go with a semi synthetic for the winter, and use the dino in the summer if you don't feel comfortable with extending the drain time like that.

Esso makes a good semi synthetic - 0w40 XD3. This is what I use in the winter.

Petrocanada makes a good semi too Duron XL semisynth - 10w40 and 0w30.

These too also could be extended to 1 year drain times for people who don't put a lot of kms per year on the vehicle.

I'll stop now...I've probably put you to sleep ;-)

-- ============================================================--------- Dominique Cormann Email: kozmik@home.com Homepage: http://kozmik.guelph.on.ca Diesel page: http://kozmik.guelph.on.ca/gtdproject 84 Rabbit D - daily driver 84 Rabbit GTD - work'in on it