Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 27 Dec 1999 10:27:52 -0800
From:         Wolfgang Carolsfeld <wolfgang@ISLAND.NET>
Subject:      Re: '87 Power Locks locking and unlocking by themselves
Comments: To: RouyRogers@AOL.COM, vanagon <vanagon@vanagon.com>

Hi Rouy, and List:

I had that experience myself recently. '87 Syncro. haven't solved it. It was a very rainy wet day, the van had been outside overnight, and there is a contact issue with the sliding door, sometimes it locks, sometimes not. My experience involved the locks locking themselves immediately after unlocking/opening the driver's door. everytime I pulled up the peg on the windowsill, it would lock itself. I tried pulling all the fuses to deactivate the locks, all the while the locks were cycling lock/unlock 30-40 times in a row, with the door open. Seems the locks are direct wired, non of the fuses removed stopped the runaway locks. I gave up, but just before I closed the doors, something went pop, and ever since the locks have been working correctly. I guess they just needed to go through a self clean cycle.

I'm sure that properly cleaned contacts, intact insulation, and lubricated in the appropriate places the locks would work properly. It's just no fun digging around under the door panels.